Admirers

Problems with 1st and Neutral

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
kylechanh
honda305.com Member

Problems with 1st and Neutral

Post by kylechanh » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:08 am

'64 CB77

The bike idles great. However, when I shift into 1st, the rpms take a dive. Most times, the bike dies. Playing around with the clutch adjustments (cable and adjuster on cover plate), I can get it to slightly lower. But, this fix makes it hard for me to find 1st and neutral. To get it into neutral and 1st, I need to rock the bike back and forth while shifting. A few hard shifts will usually get it into 1st or neutral. Because, I'm a newbie, I'm afraid to open up the engine, especially if I don't have to. Any tips on the adjustments or do I open her up.

ggray
honda305.com Member

Clutch

Post by ggray » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:30 am

Kyle,

Make sure your clutch lever has a proper amount of free play before the clutch disengages.

On a CL77 that is 15-20mm or .590"-.787".

Since the transmissions are basically the same I can only guess that the free play for a CB would be the same.

Free play is measured at the end of the clutch lever on the handle bar.

If your's has the proper amount of free play, you may have to start tracing back from the clutch lever. Is the cable in good shape? New?

Could be if the bike has been sitting for a long period, the clutch plates could be stuck together requiring removal of the clutch assy to clean and or replace the wear plates and inspecting the metal plates for wear or warpage.

It's not as difficult as one would think. I had never been into one but I received some good help from this forum as well as consulting my service manual.

Let us know what you find. Someone here can get you through it if you have to tear into it.

Gary
'65 CL77 Owner

kylechanh
honda305.com Member

Post by kylechanh » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:45 am

The free play was adjusted at the lever.

I'll see if I can take a peak at the clutch plates this evening. I'll report back. Thanks.

deaddog
honda305.com Member

Post by deaddog » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:18 am

When is the last time you changed your oil?

kylechanh
honda305.com Member

Post by kylechanh » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:18 am

I changed the oil about 4 months ago. I've only ran it few times since, while fixing her up. The oil looked good and was full. I haven't had time to look at the clutch plates, yet.

kylechanh
honda305.com Member

Post by kylechanh » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:17 pm

The clutch plates looked good. I took it all apart and wiped them clean. Everything went back toget just fine. But the problem still persists. I can only find neutral when the bike is off.

I didn't want to do this but I will be taking her into the shop for adjustments (I hope!). I don't have enough understanding of how things work. I'll reply with the solution.

jwbert
honda305.com Member

Post by jwbert » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:15 pm

Are those wires still intact on your clutch plate drum? Easier to find neutral when they are there. Or your shift drum maybe getting worn or the rollers that follow the channels on the drum maybe getting bad? Just guessing.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home