Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

So I Might Be in Just a Bit Over My Head

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed May 23, 2012 4:00 pm

Pic 4 and 5 are 1966/67 CL77.
Pic 1 and 2 Fender is a rear CL72. .......lm
maaseyracer wrote:More Photos. Unknown rear wheel, sprocket carrier and I think the CL72s rear fender. The fender is in fantastic shape. the painted is knocked off it in places, but it is not dented. I was surprised to see it was in such good shape considering where I found it in my parts pile.

maaseyracer
honda305.com Member

Post by maaseyracer » Wed May 23, 2012 10:55 pm

What year did they do chrome air cleaner covers? Or is this a modification?
Attachments
photo.JPG
1961 CB72
1961 CB77
1962 CB77

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu May 24, 2012 12:22 am

Some owners had them chromed and others bought them at the dealer. .............lm
maaseyracer wrote:What year did they do chrome air cleaner covers? Or is this a modification?

maaseyracer
honda305.com Member

Post by maaseyracer » Wed May 30, 2012 3:20 pm

An update. I finally found a buyer for the CL72. It sold on Monday, along with the 61 and 64 Cb72. Nice to be able to move some bikes and gain some space back.

While I wish I had the time to get to them, I think they went to the best home possible. Hopefully they can be fully restored. I think the new owner is one of the best restorations people I could find. As well as the right person to document the bikes, mainly the CL72.

Prior to this purchase I was in the middle of finishing up a 68 CL350. I have had to rush it to completion. It is close to being done. The sooner I finish it and get it out, the more attention I can give these 305s. If anyone is looking for a low miles CL350, I have one. :)

The 305s need a lot of attention. It appears my 62 has a wasp nest under the right side engine cover. Along with frozen bolts and seized cylinders, amongst many other issues. Including an oil drain bolt that is going to take some heat to remove.

The 64 looked the most complete, but after soaking the gas tank in vinegar for three days to remove the rust on the inside of the tank, I found half a dozen pin holes on the left front bottom of the tank. I started to try and silver solder them, and started to burn through the metal. The metal was too thin to silver solder. I ended up having to bring in my dad, expert welder and skilled machinist. Because of the positioning of the holes we had no choice, but to tig braze a patch, grind, and shape down the brass. It will require a a little body filler to make right. I thought this tank was done for, however we were able to salvage it. Time to buy some POR15 and seal that tank up.

Still hunting an engine case for the 1963, or either of the 66/67s. Many parts purchased yesterday, and many more to be purchased.
Attachments
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG
Last edited by maaseyracer on Wed May 30, 2012 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1961 CB72
1961 CB77
1962 CB77

maaseyracer
honda305.com Member

Post by maaseyracer » Wed May 30, 2012 3:37 pm

Here are a couple more shots of the final welds on the tank. As you can see there are a couple low spots between the welds and I will will have to put a small amount of filler in there. While this is not an ideal fix the seam has made it what it is. It honestly came out better than I thought it would as well.

Work is keeping me from sealing the tank today. It will have to wait until tomorrow.
Attachments
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 4.JPG
1961 CB72
1961 CB77
1962 CB77

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:10 am

Eric,

I have some 63 CB77 engine cases, and possibly for the later bikes as well, call me.

Davo

maaseyracer
honda305.com Member

Post by maaseyracer » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:41 pm

Tore the 1962 white CB77 down today. This one is going to be my bike when we are done. However, of the three bikes this one is hands down the worst of them. I pulled the valve cover off and saw what I really did not want to see. I was hoping to at least salvage the cam on this head. I guess the whole head needs to be replaced any way. The bolts on this bike are some of the most stuck bolts I have ever played with. The other two CB77s were so easy compared to this one.

The fork legs are bent, however they do not appear creased, which hopefully means I can get them back to being straight. However, before I can tell if I can straighten them, I need to pull the fork legs as they are frozen.

More pin holes in the White gas tank. I took LoudMouses suggestion and filled them with JB weld. I am soaking the last of the gas tanks in Vinegar right now to remove all the rust, hopefully there are no pin holes in this one. Once the JB Weld dries I will POR15 this one as well.

Here are some photos of the bike, also I have attached photos of one of the storages of the parts that we have. If any one needs CL parts shoot a message at me.

I think I may have sourced and engine as well for the 66, fingers crossed.
Attachments
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 5.JPG
photo 4.JPG
1961 CB72
1961 CB77
1962 CB77

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home