Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Condenser testing

Points Based Ignition | Electronic Ignition Upgrade
GG
honda305.com Member

Condenser testing

Post by GG » Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:22 pm

Hello - My cb77 (dual points) condenser gives different readings on the different leads. I'm testing with an analog meter, and one side jumps significantly higher than the other. Does this mean anything? I'm having trouble with the side that jumps less. I'd like to know if internally the two circuits are separate - I figured that both points ran off one condenser circuit. But when testing the two different leads, and grounding on the case, one is definitely much different than the other.

Advice? Thank you,

GG

Tim Allman
honda305.com Member

Re: Condenser testing

Post by Tim Allman » Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:58 am

The CB77 has two separate ignition systems. The "condenser" is two capacitors in one package so one could be faulty and the other fine.

GG
honda305.com Member

Post by GG » Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:38 am

Oooo - that's what I feared. I'm pretty sure this is what's happening then. It has a bit of spark outside the chamber, but I believe it is so weak it won't fire under compression. And the readings on the different leads are notably different when I test it with the meter.

Thank you very much. Will purchase new condenser!!!

GG

GG
honda305.com Member

Post by GG » Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:08 pm

It was the condenser. Now so much spark I get shocked while not even touching the bike! :-) Thanks all!

GG

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home