Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Splitting the cases on a C72

Lockers
honda305.com Member

Splitting the cases on a C72

Post by Lockers » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:03 am

Hi all,

I'm pretty much decided on plunging in with my new bike - immaculate but sometimes goes straight through second into a false neutral, sometimes jumps out.

Having researched the forum posts, am I right in thinking I can drop the engine, remove the alternator, perhaps there are a couple of bolts under the starter so remove that and them, then turn the engine over and split the cases without touching the top end? Apart from removing side casings first is there anything else I need to do? Clutch off first, perhaps? Any hidden bolts I might miss and cause disaster by doing so?

Once I'm inside, I'm looking for worn dogs and wear on the change drum and selector forks. I see a (bronze?) transmission bush mentioned in a few posts and a 3X gear swap? Could anyone enlighten me about those? There's a big gulf between 3rd and top gear - that would be nice to reduce a bit if it's a popular mod.

Whilst we are all in bits, should I do anything else?

Lastly, if there is a description/manual that would help (I have the owner's one, the parts list and the Clymer 'Book of the Honda - all pretty basic) I'd really appreciate being pointed towards it.

Cheers,

Simon

AlanW
honda305.com Member

Post by AlanW » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:37 am

Hi Simon,
I have sent you a pm.
Cheers Al.

Patsakornut
honda305.com Member

Post by Patsakornut » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:39 am

Is there a case like this? If there is more, please tell me. I want to know really

DJM
honda305.com Member

Splitting C72 cases

Post by DJM » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:09 am

Like what?

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home