Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CL77 Valve Seats

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:35 pm

I understand for sure.
If your work costs more than 65.00 than mine you can pay the mail cost and I do the entire, all parts head work and blast. ..............lm

Mrburnn wrote:Thank you both! If I lived closer to Texas I would have you do the work LM.

Geoff Hastings
honda305.com Member

Post by Geoff Hastings » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:10 am

A set of valve seat cutters are not too expensive, you don't need machinery and doing it by hand makes it very controllable. At this stage, assuming you have already lapped in the valves, I'd put the valves and springs back in, flip the head over to get the combustion chamber level and the fill with white spirit or similar. Leave it for a few hours and check for any signs of leakage. You'll soon see which port is wet. If it's ok then job done and you won't improve the seal by recutting the seats. If one is leaking, could be worth another quick lap in. If the seats were pocketed then recutting would be needed but those minor pits don't go full width of the seats so I'd persevere a little longer.

mike in idaho
honda305.com Member

Post by mike in idaho » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:56 am

Be really careful about taking the head into a car-oriented machine shop. It's real easy to ruin a head by going too deep with the cutter if you're not familiar with bike cylinder heads. A valve set into the head too deep will impair the flow through the valve, besides lowering the compression. It also affects the installed valve stem height(distance from the spring seat to the valve tip) and rocker arm geometry. I don't know what machine shop rates are in your area, sounds like LM's price is a pretty good deal.
'65 YG1
'65 CB160
'66 CL160
'66 CL77
'78 XS650
'79 GL1000
'69 T100R
'68 TR6
'69 T120
'72 750 Commando
my company car is a Kenworth

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:34 pm

I haven't found anyone who does a better proper job plus all the other parts which make a compleat head.
I have 2 in shop at this time. ............lm
mike in idaho wrote:Be really careful about taking the head into a car-oriented machine shop. It's real easy to ruin a head by going too deep with the cutter if you're not familiar with bike cylinder heads. A valve set into the head too deep will impair the flow through the valve, besides lowering the compression. It also affects the installed valve stem height(distance from the spring seat to the valve tip) and rocker arm geometry. I don't know what machine shop rates are in your area, sounds like LM's price is a pretty good deal.

Tim Allman
honda305.com Member

Post by Tim Allman » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:43 am

When I found myself in need of machine shop services I first went to a shop that had machined a car head for me with acceptable results. Unfortunately he botched the job badly.

So, I asked around the motorcycle shops in the area and found a fellow who did a fabulous job, matching the valves and seats well enough that lapping would have lessed the quality of the valve job. (Unfortunately he needed new valves because the new valves I gave to the first guy were heavily ground.)

What I'm suggesting is that there may well be local expertise and equipment that will get you where you want to go if you search them out.

3dreams
honda305.com Member

Loud Mouse

Post by 3dreams » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:03 pm

How do I contact you? I have a head off I need some one to rebuild. Not sure if lapping will take care of it or new seats and valve. Do you need just the head and valves? Springs and keepers?

Thanks
3dreams

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Loud Mouse

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:48 pm

I do ALL parts of the head.
Removes all parts of the cam system.
Cut the valve seats in the head.
Dress the intake valves face and stim.
Dress the stem of the exhaust valves.
Blast all head parts so the patina of the parts match.
Flat surface the top and bottom of the head and top cover.
$130.00 for that work. ...................lm

3dreams wrote:How do I contact you? I have a head off I need some one to rebuild. Not sure if lapping will take care of it or new seats and valve. Do you need just the head and valves? Springs and keepers?

Thanks
3dreams

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home