Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

stuck engines

rustywrench
honda305.com Member

stuck engines

Post by rustywrench » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:56 am

When I bought my latest cl77 project, I also got in the deal a rusty old P.O.S. of a bike with a few decent parts and a stuck engine. Since the exhaust pipes were full of rust at the bends, I was pretty confident the cylinders would be full of rust as well. I am no stranger to these conditions so I proceeded as usual. So much rust here that saving the pistons and sleeves was hopeless. I am putting this out here just for the info of it all and do not recommend these drastic measures.
First is what I found when I removed the head.
Image20171104_191956 by kenneth zukowski, on Flickr

Next I had to relieve the pressure of the rust scale to get these pistons to move.
Note the thin cylinder walls. I/D measures about 65 mm meaning this engine had been bored out to aprox. 350 cc's.
Image20171111_204929 by kenneth zukowski, on Flickr

On the good note, this block has no broken fins, can be re sleeved and is very salvageable. Now to dig around the tranny and see what treasures may lie in there. Rusty

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Re: stuck engines

Post by G-Man » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:39 am

That looked an ugly mess but you've managed to salvage the barrel without losing anything that wan't lost already. Excellent job!

G

rustywrench wrote:When I bought my latest cl77 project, I also got in the deal a rusty old P.O.S. of a bike with a few decent parts and a stuck engine. Since the exhaust pipes were full of rust at the bends, I was pretty confident the cylinders would be full of rust as well. I am no stranger to these conditions so I proceeded as usual. So much rust here that saving the pistons and sleeves was hopeless. I am putting this out here just for the info of it all and do not recommend these drastic measures.

Next I had to relieve the pressure of the rust scale to get these pistons to move.
Note the thin cylinder walls. I/D measures about 65 mm meaning this engine had been bored out to aprox. 350 cc's.
Image20171111_204929 by kenneth zukowski, on Flickr

On the good note, this block has no broken fins, can be re sleeved and is very salvageable. Now to dig around the tranny and see what treasures may lie in there. Rusty
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

Merz64cb77
honda305.com Member

Stuck engine

Post by Merz64cb77 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:29 am

Nice work and thanks for sharing. I'm sure tgis will help newbies down the road and others with stuck engines
67' CB77
66’ CB77
65’ bomber
68’ hellcat

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: stuck engines

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:53 am

Fun drilling those holes!
RIGHT!. .........:-). .............lm

rustywrench wrote:When I bought my latest cl77 project, I also got in the deal a rusty old P.O.S. of a bike with a few decent parts and a stuck engine. Since the exhaust pipes were full of rust at the bends, I was pretty confident the cylinders would be full of rust as well. I am no stranger to these conditions so I proceeded as usual. So much rust here that saving the pistons and sleeves was hopeless. I am putting this out here just for the info of it all and do not recommend these drastic measures.

[

zebedee150
honda305.com Member

stuck engines

Post by zebedee150 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:01 am

You could check out Honda CBX1000 pistons to reuse the liners. Standard were 64.5mm but they did do oversizes. I use to race on a set without problems, just modded the crown to suit. At £8 each from Dave Silver at the time too!

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:42 am

Nice job, Rusty; you obviously have some experience freeing stuck pistons. I've never had the pleasure. I have a question, if I may, empty cylinder sleeves are removed by heating the head in an oven and they supposedly drop out. Could the same be done with the pistons still in the sleeves or would the heated pistons within the sleeves expand too much to make that possible?

rustywrench
honda305.com Member

Post by rustywrench » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:19 am

Seadog wrote:Nice job, Rusty; you obviously have some experience freeing stuck pistons. I've never had the pleasure. I have a question, if I may, empty cylinder sleeves are removed by heating the head in an oven and they supposedly drop out. Could the same be done with the pistons still in the sleeves or would the heated pistons within the sleeves expand too much to make that possible?

I did once try heating the block with a heat gun until the soaking solution on top of the piston was boiling to no avail. One thought here. you would have to put the whole engine assembly in the oven since the pistons are still stuck and attached to the rods. The heat gun did nothing to help.
Yes Ed, drilling those holes made my day. Rusty

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home