Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Finally got a nice one!

jas67
honda305.com Member

Finally got a nice one!

Post by jas67 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:43 am

Well, after buying three ratty ones, I finally got a nice one. I present, my newly acquired 1967 CB77.
After pricing out parts to restore one of the three others that I have, I decided it was cheaper to buy a nice one. This one is mostly all-original (engine refreshed, engine cases, fork tube covers, and headlight ears painted). It only had 2,650 miles on it when I picked it up (now it has 2,689). While I appreciate perfectly-restored bikes, I personally prefer nice original bikes, so, I'm quite happy with this one!

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Finally got a nice one!

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:30 pm

Nice bike.
Looks like it is or has been running a bit rich. ..............lm
jas67 wrote:Well, after buying three ratty ones, I finally got a nice one. I present, my newly acquired 1967 CB77.
After pricing out parts to restore one of the three others that I have, I decided it was cheaper to buy a nice one. This one is mostly all-original (engine refreshed, engine cases, fork tube covers, and headlight ears painted). It only had 2,650 miles on it when I picked it up (now it has 2,689). While I appreciate perfectly-restored bikes, I personally prefer nice original bikes, so, I'm quite happy with this one!

jensey
honda305.com Member

Post by jensey » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:40 pm

Hi,

Nice bike !

As loudmouse sugests, check your plugs. To me, it seems it's running lean, when my bomber has this blue color on the downpipes (single wall) it is to lean.

Weather it's too rich or too lean, check it !

Jensen
assembly of Japanese motorcycles requires great peace of mind (Pirsig)

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:55 pm

I was of the same opinion J but as it was explained to me the tube blues because there is to much fuel and it hasn't burned before it left the cylinder and was a FLAME in/into the header pipe.
BTW the engine I'm working on has a 1/2 inch hole in the middle/top. The other piston has had the skirts machined to 61.26 so I found both sleeves are at a demotion I don't have pistons that size.
Not a problem it is being bored back to standard with NOS sleeves. .................lm
jensey wrote:Hi,

Nice bike !

As loudmouse sugests, check your plugs. To me, it seems it's running lean, when my bomber has this blue color on the downpipes (single wall) it is to lean.

Weather it's too rich or too lean, check it !

Jensen

stepper
honda305.com Member

Post by stepper » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:08 am

The cause of the bluing does indeed need to be addressed but I think it makes the bike look all the more awesome!
BTW, I went the same route as you did when buying my CA77- bought a nice one off the bat.
After bringing her home I found that she still needed quite a bit of attention but it's all fine by me as it made me feel like I earned her a bit more.

jensey
honda305.com Member

Post by jensey » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:49 am

The cause of the bluing does indeed need to be addressed but I think it makes the bike look all the more awesome!
Agree, but find the cause. Normally the blue stops closer to the cylinder head, but at your machine it's amuch longer distance then usual...

Here, look at my CB450 :

The distance between the blue and the cylinder head on the left downpipe is longer then on the right downpipe. At the dyno we saw that the left was leaner (too lean) compared to the correct running right cylinder (left and right of the bike when you sit on it...)
Attachments
a sportsbike colored like it should.jpg
a sportsbike colored like it should.jpg (256.88 KiB) Viewed 3352 times
Img_1375_1.jpg
Img_1375_1.jpg (211.15 KiB) Viewed 3352 times
assembly of Japanese motorcycles requires great peace of mind (Pirsig)

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:20 am

I see what you show and your test J.
As HONDA included (in the carb body of the CL72 carbs) a set of larger jets when we would remove the baffles and change the back pressure for more top end revs I was told I'd need to install the larger jets to ride or my pipes would blue.
I never changed the jets and my pipes never blued, "A 1962 and a 1963 CL72" but my friends did when they changed to the large jets.
I don't disagree that you have what you have and I've explained what I had back then and today I still tune with 135/42 (both CB and CL77 engines) and the pipes don't blue and the engines run well. ...............lm

jensey wrote:
Agree, but find the cause. Normally the blue stops closer to the cylinder head, but at your machine it's amuch longer distance then usual...

Here, look at my CB450 :

The distance between the blue and the cylinder head on the left downpipe is longer then on the right downpipe. At the dyno we saw that the left was leaner (too lean) compared to the correct running right cylinder (left and right of the bike when you sit on it...)

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home