□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Starter clutch question CA77

hans737
honda305.com Member

Post by hans737 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:27 pm

Along this line I have just (finally) finished my restoration of my 67 CA77. All is perfect except the starter clutch needs rebuilt. Sometimes it will turn the motor over but most times it either just spins freely or sounds exactly like my coffee grinder. Have been searching the forum as I am sure this has been addressed before but not having any luck finding a bit of a run-through of what and how to do this rebuild. I am aware of the need for the correct size and thread bolt to pull the dynamo but not so sure what I will find behind that and what the best procedure is for rebuilding. I am thinking I will need to replace the 3 rollers as well as the 3 springs and caps. Is that all, lube with light oil and good to go? Any pitfalls to watch out for?

FluteTears
honda305.com Member

Post by FluteTears » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:14 pm

http://www.honda305.com/forums/starter- ... 32524.html

Have a look at this it helped me in doing the starter clutch but now it looks like mine is the starter when its cold anyway not a bad idea to check this and give it some care as this could be your problem.
1974 CT90
1964 CA77

hans737
honda305.com Member

Post by hans737 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:34 pm

Perfect! Thanks FluteTears. I've managed to get through this entire project mostly reading other posts to be able to solve my various issues but couldn't seem to locate that thread. It's exactly what I was looking for. My goal is to finish this project without incurring a scolding from Loud Mouse for doing (or not doing) something stupid and having to beg the forum for help.
I'll post my results on the rebuild later. If all goes well I'll rebuild the one on my Superhawk too. It's starting to show the same problems sometimes.

FluteTears
honda305.com Member

Post by FluteTears » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:11 pm

"a scolding from Loud Mouse for doing (or not doing)"

LOL its not a scolding its a this is how I have done it and it works from experience..
I called him before I even started on this starter clutch I have now done 1
He has done allot more then one I take his word as experience from mistakes.
1974 CT90
1964 CA77

hans737
honda305.com Member

Post by hans737 » Mon May 05, 2014 8:45 pm

I have finally taken out my starter clutch. Had new springs, caps and rollers ready to go. As expected it was a mess in there. All that was left was one whole cap with a small part of spring, one broken cap with no spring and one completely empty hole. Rollers were all there...
The somewhat unexpected part was one of the attach screws was sheared off. The other two were still tight. I was able to get the broken off part out of the rotor but am having issues with the screw head in the clutch. The outer metal covering on the clutch that has the elongated screw holes is not lined up completely with the screw heads (I assume that's part of the design to keep the screws from backing out if they get loose). I can't seem to get the thing to slide either direction and line up to allow the broken screw head out. Any pointers?
Looks like it's still possible to get a new clutch plate but was hoping to use this one. As someone suggested I've inspected it for any cracks and it sill looks good.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home