honda305.com Forum

Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Are roller cams and/or 5 speed kits still available?

wyztek
honda305.com Member

Are roller cams and/or 5 speed kits still available?

Post by wyztek » Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:25 pm

Hi everyone,<br />My first posting: My long term fantasy is to build up a Superhawk the way I wanted it in the first place (many years ago). That would include a roller cam and a 5 speed gear box. Does anybody know if these are still realistically available? (as opposed to taking out a 1st and 2nd mortgage on the house).<br /><br />Possibly the gear set from a later model Honda could be modified/adopted???

UConn337
honda305.com Member

Re: Are roller cams and/or 5 speed kits still available?

Post by UConn337 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:03 pm

I have in my possesion an H&amp;C drag race cam which is full roller rocker... I aquired it through some chance, price $300. I have never seen another so I don't know that you will be able to get your hands on one.<br /><br />Best of luck,<br />Bill

Lee
honda305.com Member

Post by Lee » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:57 am

wyztek wrote:<br />Hi everyone,<br />My first posting: My long term fantasy is to build up a Superhawk the way I wanted it in the first place (many years ago). That would include a roller cam and a 5 speed gear box. Does anybody know if these are still realistically available? (as opposed to taking out a 1st and 2nd mortgage on the house).<br /><br />Possibly the gear set from a later model Honda could be modified/adopted???<br />
<br /><br />This is not an answer to your question, but something to consider. I put a 5-speed transmission in my CB-77 and realized that it has &quot;Road Racing&quot; gearing. It's not like the CB-350 5-speed at all. What I recall is that with 15T &amp; 32T sprockets, &quot;First&quot; gear was 6K RPM at 30 MPH, so it was like taking off in 2nd gear with a 4-speed transmission. Also, keep in mind that Road Racing cams come up on the Cam at around 6K RPM with open megaphones. Since I liked to ride in the dirt and on the street, I decided to put the 4-speed back in, and use straight pipes with CB-350 pistons, Hepolite Sleeves, a Harmon &amp; Collins cam &amp; valve springs, and a solid copper head gasket (0.018&quot; thick) that I made, and 13T &amp; 32T sprockets. That made it a real fun bike that would keep up with the the single carburetor 650 Triumphs. I had to turn the top of the pistions down on a lathe to make them fit. I don't know what the compression ration was, but a standard head gasket would not stay in it. So, to sum it up, you may only want to put a cam and valve springs in it and maybe make it a 350cc. I would suggest getting a cam, if you can, that increases low end torque, as opposed to a road racing cam, unless you want to go around winding it out over 6K RPM all the time.<br /><br />The bike I've chosen to replace my CB-77 is a 1984 Honda V65 Sabre (120hp - 6 speed - Driveshaft).

georGe
honda305.com Member

Post by georGe » Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:11 pm

There is not anyone currently producing 5 speed clusters for SuperHawks there are rumours that you can machine cogs from other Hondas but i dont know which ones or how much work/money is involved. <br />As for cams http://www.megacyclecams.com/ has several different specs for sale as well as springs and rocker refacing.<br /><br />georGe<br />

bfd402
honda305.com Member

Post by bfd402 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:43 pm

Nova in England makes a 5 speed close ratio kit. I think it's priced at $1500 U.S. and requires some machine work to the case. It may also require the space taken by the kick starter gear so you'll have to bump it. <br />bfd

87we4turbo
honda305.com Member

Post by 87we4turbo » Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:07 pm

Unless Nova has resumed production of the 5 speed gearsets for these bikes since the last time I contacted them around a year ago, they are no longer available. I emailed them and was told due to lack of demand and high costs they discontinued production of 5 speeds for the cb72/cb77.

mountainman
honda305.com Member

Post by mountainman » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:16 pm

About seven or eight years ago I boughta cam made by someone named &quot;Connaly&quot; along with the point cover with his name on it on E-Bay. Believe he was in Washington State and figured after measuring it that it was for a roadrace engine. I traded it to a buddy of mine along with the springs for &quot;stuff&quot;. Now have four scramblers in various states of disrepair that I am redoing for riders. Also have a completely re-done engine with stock bore NOS parts that has never been fired. Will be putting it my red framed scrambler soon that just happens to have a NOS tank mounted.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home