Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Need info on high comp pistons -quick

emacklin
honda305.com Member

Need info on high comp pistons -quick

Post by emacklin » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:03 pm

I've just bought a Superhawk, and am on the road with it, riding across the country.<br /><br />Blew a hole in my right piston.<br /><br />What would the consequences be of putting in new high compression pistons? I'm not sure what else I'd need to modify, if anything, to run these pistons in the bike.<br /><br />(I'm looking at the high comp pistons since I can get a set with rings for less than a single NOS piston from ohiocycle.com)<br /><br />If anyone has any info at all, I'd love to hear it.<br /><br /> -Stranded

kustommusic
honda305.com Member

Re: Need info on high comp pistons -quick

Post by kustommusic » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:58 pm

With the high comp. pistons you would need a better grade of fuel and your tuning would have to be adjusted. With what passes for pump gas these days I wouldn't put those in on a trip with many miles ahead of me. Do you know how much higher the comp would be? That too could affect a dicision,that is if it's only a little higher,what the heck. Did you figure out the cause for the first one to &quot;hole out&quot;? Have you tried somone other than Ohio Cycle,or are you near them? Feel free to call or e-mail me directly if I can be of any help. Good Luck, Steve Greer

ryan_siefrin
honda305.com Member

Post by ryan_siefrin » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:12 pm

you would need to run a higher octane gas, that's for sure. do you know what the stock compression piston ratio is and what high compression is. <br /><br />you probably would have to run a colder heat rang plug if possible and rejet the cab if nessicary. I don't know how higher compression effects a carbarated engine, but i would think you may want to spray in more fuel to keep the temp. down. <br /><br />i mean bikes in general run much higher compression than cars, however i bet power gains could be minimal, but you would probably notice it on such a small bike.
Ryan Siefring

1965 Honda CA77 Dream
1996 Honda CBR 900 RR

kustommusic
honda305.com Member

Post by kustommusic » Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:34 pm

What ever happened to emacklin? what was decided on pistons and did he get it going again and back on his trip? I would like to know.

DVM
honda305.com Member

Post by DVM » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:09 pm

Hi Emacklin,<br /><br />If you decide to go with higher compression pistons, i.e. higher compression engine, with todays somewhat lower octane gasolines be sure to retard the timing so your engine doesn't ping or knock.<br /><br />Burning a hole in the top of your piston is usually due to:<br />1. Too lean a fuel mixture (I had a problem with one of my needles, it was deformed causing too lean a mixture no mater how I raised or lowered the needle).<br />2. Timing advanced too much.<br /><br />Hope this helps

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home