Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1968 Honda CL175 "Sloper" restoration

CB160, CB350, CB360, CB450
Rizingson
honda305.com Member

Post by Rizingson » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:37 pm

HondaPaul wrote:Nice work Rizingson! Very impressive indeed. If you remember I have thread going for a CL77 and I have a couple of questions.

1. What is the best way to clean up engine casings/covers to prep for paint?

2. My wiring harness appears to be in fairly good shape but the plastic "conduit" is very aged, stiff, and brittle in places. What would be the best way to refurbish this? Replace the conduit only (which of course would mean removing a replacing all the connectors)?, or trying to find a replacement (probably after market)?

Thanks, Paul
You can use an engine degreaser (foaming type) followed by High pressure washer or just a good stiff brush and a degreaser such as simple green. Always be sure to plug the intake and exhaust ports as well as spark plug holes. I will use a scraper for heavy stuff and finish with Duplicolor DE1650 cast aluminum paint. Clearing is optional IMO.

For wiring harness, you can repair with the correct color "dry" type electrical tape, or use a shrink wrap for longer portions of the harness.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home