Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Worth Restoring My '63 Falcon???

Who said it was only about Motorcycles? What else do you collect, restore, enjoy... ?
Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:52 pm

Well I think you guys reinforced my gut feelings -- leave it as is, repair as needed, and drive it until it falls apart.

And heck, if it can survive a 1200 mile drive in the middle of January to Canada and back, is there anything about it that really needs fixing????

Hoosier Tom
honda305.com Member

Post by Hoosier Tom » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:56 pm

Vince,

I would leave the body alone and drive it 'till the wheels fall off. Probably for the money you spend on a properly executed repaint and rust repair you can get another original paint classic out west and drive it when your old car gives up the ghost.
My cousin gets at least one classic, original paint car a year from out west and drives it back and forth to work and recreational cruises. He winds up selling it in the fall and either breaks even or makes a little/loses a little. But in the grand scheme of things we do this for the love of the hobby and don't worry about losing money.
If you absolutely love the car and you don't mind spending money you probably never will get back, go for the repair/repaint. I've got a 1970 F250 I have spent a small fortune doing mechanical repairs/engine rebuild so it would be reliable and safe for my kids to drive if they wanted. I've had old 1965-1970 Ford F250s for the last 15 years. It is a solid western truck with worrrrrrrnnnn original paint that I doubt I will repaint as long as I own it. It has character.

Good Luck- HT

Dgormley
honda305.com Member

restore or not

Post by Dgormley » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:52 pm

Vince, I have to agree with Tom, run it till the wheels fall off. It has a nice vintage patina going for it and being a low option 4 door I don't think it's ever going to be real collectible............D

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:11 am

Thanks for the advice guys -- I knew you were the right ones to consult! So yes, I think I'll keep on driving it as-is until the wheels fall off.

I almost wish that I could find another Falcon with a great body and a crappy engine etc, and just take all the good stuff out of mine, and put it in the other Falcon.

My two goals with this car have been for it to reach 50 years of age, and for it to hit 173,300 miles (making it 100,000 miles that I will have driven the car). It should be able to reach both of those, then it might be time to move onto something else. Hmm, I've always fancied an Avanti......

Hoosier Tom
honda305.com Member

Post by Hoosier Tom » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:35 pm

GG
honda305.com Member

Falcon restoration

Post by GG » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:07 pm

Vince - I can relate. I restored a '63 Falcon hardtop (Futura edition), floor shift - fancy car with only the 170 ci six cylinder!!! Anyway, I happened to find a parked falcon just like mine, and I used the floor, fenders and a door! The poor little cars were really poorly made - no fender wells, unibody construction, etc., but cute (in some people's eyes!). The cost to restore yours probably can't be justified, but those little motors will go forever. I used to get 26 mpg - back in the old days! So I can relate to your fondness for the little car.

fellow falcon lover,

GG

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:47 am

Thanks for all the feedback. I think I'm going to keep it status quo for the time being. The car is running great, I have it serviced every 3000 miles, and fortunately my mechanics are all Ford guys, so they're quite sympathetic to its care.

My wife has a thing for the new Fiat 500, and when it finally does come to Maryland in the next couple of months, we'll go have a look at it. I've heard good things about them, and have seen them in Europe frequently, so that might possibly be the replacement for the Falcon at some point. If not, I'll just keep on driving it!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home