Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Aftermarket parts

Bought anything recently? Liked it? Hated it? Post your review...
bamacl
honda305.com Member

Aftermarket parts

Post by bamacl » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:38 pm

I know many items are hard to find and we buy aftermarket parts. While most are ok some are not and need to be checked. Case in point I purchased advance unit springs and the 14mm trans bushing for my motor rebuild. The machined in thrust area on the bushing was to thick and would cause the shaft to bind. With new gears and shift forks it took a while to find what the problem was. The springs are slighty longer than stock which makes the weights even looser. Not good. No name bashing just a reminder to check,check and recheck.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Aftermarket parts

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:57 pm

Without you saying who you purchased the parts from I know.
Tis a shame as they do try. . .............lm.
bamacl wrote:I know many items are hard to find and we buy aftermarket parts. While most are ok some are not and need to be checked. Case in point I purchased advance unit springs and the 14mm trans bushing for my motor rebuild. The machined in thrust area on the bushing was to thick and would cause the shaft to bind. With new gears and shift forks it took a while to find what the problem was. The springs are slighty longer than stock which makes the weights even looser. Not good. No name bashing just a reminder to check,check and recheck.

bamacl
honda305.com Member

Post by bamacl » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:08 am

And the aftermarket spokes can be added to the list of "not quite right" parts. The bends are 2.5mm to long. At least the nipples are nice and can be used.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:07 am

I hope you did tell him. ..............lm

bamacl wrote:And the aftermarket spokes can be added to the list of "not quite right" parts. The bends are 2.5mm to long. At least the nipples are nice and can be used.

bamacl
honda305.com Member

Post by bamacl » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:27 pm

Yes I did. Responce was "I've sold hundreds with out issue,wonder what the problem could be? Thanks for the imput." So I will refinish part of the old ones to go with the nos ones I do have and make a full set. That's what I get for trying to go the easy way.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home