Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Rear Luggage Carrier

Have a part and no Part Number? No idea where it's from and where it goes? Post a description and a photo here!
Kevmcp
honda305.com Member

Luggage Rack

Post by Kevmcp » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:03 pm

I am in the process of manufacturing them for the Dream CA77, both out of chrome and mirror-polished stainless steel. The ones that I have seen had flat bars which did not jibe with the Honda style. Here is a photo of the first prototype. The aesthetic was taken from smaller, earlier Hondas that actually came with racks, or were Honda racks, not aftermarket. When I fit it and make sure it works, I will let you know how you can get one. PM me with any questions. They have small pegs to secure straps to, as many of them did. The welding on these are super clean...cleaner than any production ones I have seen out there.
Attachments
DSC09190.JPG

brewsky
honda305.com Member

Post by brewsky » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:11 pm

Thanks for the replies.
The stock seat is killing me on anything over 15 miles or so, so I'm looking for a more comfortable seat than the 8" wide stock model. (Funny I don't remember any problem with the stock seat on my old Super Hawk back in the sixties, but that was then,..... and this is now!)
If I find a decent solo seat, I would like to use the luggage rack if possible.
Need to do some more measuring and mock up to see if the one I have will work. I believe it is smaller than the one Scram64 shows, but maybe not? And it doesn't have any holes for the lift handle or grab bar, but it is similar in shape.
Kevmcp, that is some good looking work.

Actually thinking about adapting a solo seat from a newer Honda Shadow or Yamaha V Star if I can find one and the fit looks ok? Flame away!
66 dream, 78 cb750k, 02fz1, 09 wing

Scram64
honda305.com Member

rear luggage carrier

Post by Scram64 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:36 pm

Brewsky, search Ebay motors under Sportster Low Profile Solo Seat.
Maybe this will work for you. Scram64

Eljeef
honda305.com Member

Post by Eljeef » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:37 pm

brewsky wrote:I've got both the Restoration and Motor Guide form Silver, but neither have an accessories section.
Is there another version?
There is a page in one of the books of a dream with a solo seat and a similar looking rack mounted on the fender behind it, and that is what I would like to do with mine.
Sorry it took me awhile to respond. The guide I have that came on cd has a 1961 accessory book for the "American Honda Motor Company Inc." . There are four different racks in these pages for the 305 Dream. Thare is one in the Buco cataolgue as well. Cheers, Jeff H.
1964-C77 305 Dream
2002 BMW R1150GS

Eljeef
honda305.com Member

Post by Eljeef » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:47 pm

brewsky wrote:I've got both the Restoration and Motor Guide form Silver, but neither have an accessories section.
There is a page in one of the books of a dream with a solo seat and a similar looking rack mounted on the fender behind it, and that is what I would like to do with mine.
Sorry it took me awhile to respond. The guide I have that came on cd has a 1961 accessory book for the "American Honda Motor Company Inc." . There are four different racks in these pages for the 305 Dream. Thare is one in the Buco cataolgue as well. Cheers, Jeff H.
1964-C77 305 Dream
2002 BMW R1150GS

Eljeef
honda305.com Member

Post by Eljeef » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:47 pm

Geez! How does my post appear 3 times? :(
Last edited by Eljeef on Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
1964-C77 305 Dream
2002 BMW R1150GS

brewsky
honda305.com Member

Re: rear luggage carrier

Post by brewsky » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:50 am

Scram64 wrote:Brewsky, search Ebay motors under Sportster Low Profile Solo Seat.
Maybe this will work for you. Scram64
Thanks for the info Scram, that is the type seat I'm looking for.
Your seat and rack are obviously the parts LM describes.
Any chance you could provide the measurements?
The vertical rear mount tabs on my rack are only 4" between and don't look wide enough to mount as yours does on the outside of the fender strut.
66 dream, 78 cb750k, 02fz1, 09 wing

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home