Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

I'm Back!!!

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
barnbiketom
honda305.com Member

I'm Back!!!

Post by barnbiketom » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:54 pm

After a few years of bad things happening, i miraculously found a '65 Superhawk!!!
Im examining it, weighing my options, and will provide photos of it along the way.
For now, i just want to ride it.
Many thanks to the members who helped me before, and will help me again.
It turns over, has spark, and everything actually works. The carbs are stuck so the first order of business will be the carbs fuel lines and tank.
In the next few days I'll be checking the compression and deciding if I'll try to start it or tear it completely down but I would like to just try and start it.
One thing I noticed when using the electric starter the kicker goes down and won't really come back up I need to look into that any ideas would be appreciated!!
I like stock...
A few modern mods...
But worst of all are those gawl dang PODS

barnbiketom
honda305.com Member

Re: I'm Back!!!

Post by barnbiketom » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:17 pm

I like stock...
A few modern mods...

AlanW
honda305.com Member

Post by AlanW » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:56 am

Hi, usually when the kickstart moves forward like that it is a sign that the counter shaft and rollers are worn. Not good news as it's a teardown but it must be done. My brother had a new cb72 in 1965 and that part failed within the first year, it locked up and threw him down the road. The shaft looked like it had spun and welded itself where the rollers run. He bought a T20 after that.
Good luck with it,
Al.

barnbiketom
honda305.com Member

Post by barnbiketom » Fri May 28, 2021 2:46 pm

Noting was indexed correctly and no spring pressure inside the rh cover.
I did end up splitting the cases, for a different reason, and the shaft and rollers were good. Someone else might have replaced??
I like stock...
A few modern mods...

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home