Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1965 CB77 Save and Rebuild

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
CBJoe
honda305.com Member

1965 CB77 Save and Rebuild

Post by CBJoe » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:17 pm

Hello Everyone,

Figured I'd introduce into the forum with a project for my wife. We got totally sidetracked while cruising around for a CB350k and walked home with a 1965 CB77 that is mostly complete.

Rose (wife) has been lusting after these for a while, but we just didn't have any show up near us in an affordable price range. The main thing it's missing are the side covers and tool kit. All else appears to be there and in very good shape under minor surface rust and grunge. We are hoping it has mostly the original pieces and parts for the 1965 model....if not we'll try and source correct pieces.

Bike will get a full disassembly and rebuild along with a complete engine tear down (motor is currently stuck). We are going to do our best to replace all necessary bits with OEM pieces. Not going for museum quality, but would like to be as close to 100% stock as possible.

I've got another build thread going on over at the SOHC4 Forum...http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,162873.0.html

Anyway...here's a few pics and hopefully a video of the ridiculously clean tank.... Cheers, Joe

Crazy Clean Tank...lets see if this vid works

CBJoe
honda305.com Member

Post by CBJoe » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:19 pm

Small update...Weather is Cold as hell at the moment...but we had a few good 50F days last weekend and Rose got a the bike partially stripped down and bagged/tagged for moving into the basement workshop.

Carbs are damn near as spotless as the tank. I'd like to go back in time and kiss the person who drained the fuel before letting the bike sit for decades.

We got the front fender straightened up well using a wooden dowel rod to flex it out. Same with the right side fender stay. At this point the front and rear fenders are in fantastic shape and just need stripped and painted.

Before

After

Bummer part is the Exhaust. They feel extremely solid but after removing we found some cracks in the mufflers near the Head Pipe joint. also the right side has some bottom side road rash. Probably going to shell out for a reproduction system from David Silver Spares. Oh...I think some small furry animals were living in the pipes ::)

Wire harness is in great shape except for the fact that the sheathing is completely hardened and brittle. Probably going to unwrap and inspect the wires and then re-wrap with bits from http://www.cycleterminal.com/sleeve-tubing.html

Have had the cylinders soaking with a 50/50 Acetone and ATF fluid for a week now and cant get it to budge. Got to tear down anyway so probably just gonna deal with it on the bench.

I think we're going to try the following kit to save many of the original hardware. http://www.eastwood.com/ew-electroplati ... -zinc.html Unless someone has a good source to send it all out to. Tried searching the forum but seems the search function is out of commission.

Joe

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:41 pm

Joe

Looks like you have a great project there. I have ssen some great work on home zinc plating here and will try it sometime when I have a chance. I tend to send my zinc plating out afrer I have built up a bucketful.

You can see some of the plating I have had done here.

http://www.honda305.com/forums/1961-cb7 ... 34421.html

Not done much lately but will pick it up again in the spring.

Good luck with the restoration.

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

pemdoc65
honda305.com Member

Post by pemdoc65 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:48 pm

I've had good luck with zinc plating with the Caswell Copycad kit. I find it to be a relaxing opportunity to work with chemicals and do math.

My last CB77 also had about two pounds of acorns in the pipes when I got it, and I ended up getting a set of the David Silver repops. I have just started fitting them this week. So far, they are looking good and fitting well. There are posts on the site about them being difficult to fit due to the forward mounting hole being different than stock, but I have not had an issue with that so far.

It looks like a fairly complete start to a good project.

border0_3
honda305.com Member

Post by border0_3 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:35 pm

Hi Joe and Rose,

Looks like a great project with finding a bike pretty complete..

Have done one with my daughter Joanne, and a few with my mate Brian.
I like the CB350Ks too.

The old Hondas certainly keep us entertained and the mind always thinking. G-Man, LM and others on this site are great sources of Honda and technical knowledge.

All the best Richard.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home