Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Dianne's C77

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
DianneB
honda305.com Member

Post by DianneB » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:43 am

NICE JOB G-MAN!!!

Yea, Manitoba winters are a PITA! I would LIKE to have scrubbed/washed the floor but it is like -20C outside so the floor would become a skating rink! Also, with it being cold, heating the shop (electric and wood) drives the humidity into the low single-digits, which is great for drying paint but makes any dust very mobile.

Heat isn't a problem with some paints (like the water-based AutoAir) but the clear-coat is lacquer based so that means removing/shutting off ALL possible forms if ignition like heating appliances during painting and maintaining voluminous ventilation to avoid going KABOOM!

Providing a good space for painting in the winter is beyond my financial means so I simply shouldn't try...... If I was rich, I would put up a dedicated building just for painting.

DianneB
honda305.com Member

Post by DianneB » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:24 pm

Getting the Purple Dream reassembled slowly. Tail light, rear signal lights yesterday, and the kick and jiffy stand. Today I got the wiring harness, swing arm, and rear wheel (with new brake shoes), and the steering head reassembled.

It is looking VERY purple LOL!

DianneB
honda305.com Member

Post by DianneB » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:31 pm

I had given up on fixing the 'combination switch' lock and was using it as a simple (non-locking) switch until someone gave me another switch earlier in the winter. Unfortunately the switch I was given was a U.S. model that has 5 positions whereas the Canadian switch has 6 positions. Both switches allow the key to be removed in either of 2 positions but not the rest.

While scratching my head over how to wire the 5-position switch, it occurred to me that the U.S. switch would have the same pins and springs as the Canadian switch used to have and it should be possible to put the U.S. pins and springs in the Canadian switch body IF I were brave enough to risk it! So I took the American lock apart.

Since there are 6 upper springs and pins (3-pin lock with key removable in 2 positions) I was going to need something to hold each of these in place as I inserted the rest and to hold them compressed while I slipped the cylinder in. I rolled up a tube from some thin brass sheet and had a go at it.

After an hour's work (and a fair does of frustration!) I had it all together AND IT WORKS! The bike will now have the proper combination switch.

I CAN'T BELIEVE I JUST DID THAT! I NEVER want to be a locksmith!

Steverino
honda305.com Member

Post by Steverino » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:02 pm

Nice Work Dianne. You are braver than me.

DianneB
honda305.com Member

Post by DianneB » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:15 pm

Steverino wrote:Nice Work Dianne. You are braver than me.
Sometimes stupid trumps brave LOL!

DianneB
honda305.com Member

Post by DianneB » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:38 pm

Finished the wiring changes necessitated by the mini-ape hangers, installed the new/old/repaired switch and tested the electrical system - all working as it should.

Got some small "hot dog" mufflers coming in the mail - more in keeping with the Hippy chopper look (and should be a LOT easier to mount).

The custom cables are ordered and should be in the mail tomorrow.

Just some changes to make to the solo seat.

We're getting there!

zads
honda305.com Member

Post by zads » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:04 pm

a Hippy Chopper, very cool! I'm really enjoying watching this project come together!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home