Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1964 CA77 Restoration

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:27 pm

I've searched for a reference and cannot find one. The "Distribution Box" schematic shows the outside of the cover, not the inside. It seems to me that it's unlike Honda to provide a part, then not provide for a replacement, but the fact is that the cover does have provision for that piece. It's not an add-on. Perhaps they thought that the rubber integral to the cover and was not replaceable. An example of this is the rubber boot on the power cable to the starter solenoid. No part number.
LOUD MOUSE wrote:I'll admit I don't know all there is to know abut the DREAM bikes and parts.
I do have a question though as I have seen several.
Where in the parts book is shown a rubber strip that HONDA installed on those covers? ........lm

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:37 pm

I've found many areas/parts of these bikes where there was/is something there but it was never offered as a replacement with a parts number.
I did look at my parts book and I really don't see a rubber/or anything for that surface. ..................lm
Seadog wrote:I've searched for a reference and cannot find one. The "Distribution Box" schematic shows the outside of the cover, not the inside. It seems to me that it's unlike Honda to provide a part, then not provide for a replacement, but the fact is that the cover does have provision for that piece. It's not an add-on. Perhaps they thought that the rubber integral to the cover and was not replaceable. An example of this is the rubber boot on the power cable to the starter solenoid. No part number.
LOUD MOUSE wrote:I'll admit I don't know all there is to know abut the DREAM bikes and parts.
Where in the parts book is shown a rubber strip that HONDA installed on those covers? ........lm

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:18 pm

I managed to paint the clutch cover a few days ago and it sits on top of a bookcase in the warmth of the house curing. I'll give it a week or so. I've put the bike away until then. Meanwhile, I started getting the Superhawk ready for summer.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:16 pm

but the fact is that the cover does have provision for that piece. It's not an add-on.
May we see a pic of this?. ....................lm

Seadog wrote:I've searched for a reference and cannot find one. The "Distribution Box" schematic shows the outside of the cover, not the inside. It seems to me that it's unlike Honda to provide a part, then not provide for a replacement, but the fact is that the cover does have provision for that piece. It's not an add-on. Perhaps they thought that the rubber integral to the cover and was not replaceable. An example of this is the rubber boot on the power cable to the starter solenoid. No part number.

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:04 pm

Yes and no. The bike is presently stored in my neighbor's garage, but I have another cover with the same channel. In the pics, below, you can see itl across the top and about half way down the sides. An old piece of rubber material is still in it.
LOUD MOUSE wrote:"but the fact is that the cover does have provision for that piece. It's not an add-on".
Attachments
IMG_1896.JPG
IMG_1896.JPG (411.21 KiB) Viewed 1855 times
IMG_1894.JPG
IMG_1894.JPG (239.54 KiB) Viewed 1855 times
IMG_1888.JPG
IMG_1888.JPG (213.74 KiB) Viewed 1855 times

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:37 pm

Thanks for the pics as I don't RECALL ever seeing that.
I have a couple of covers and when I can find them I may have one of the type you show.
I don't recall that are and must thank you for helping me learn more of these bikes. ............lm

Seadog wrote:Yes and no. The bike is presently stored in my neighbor's garage, but I have another cover with the same channel. In the pics, below, you can see itl across the top and about half way down the sides. An old piece of rubber material is still in it.
LOUD MOUSE wrote:"but the fact is that the cover does have provision for that piece. It's not an add-on".

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:55 am

I'm happy to help, as you do for me and many others.
LOUD MOUSE wrote:Thanks for the pics as I don't RECALL ever seeing that.
I have a couple of covers and when I can find them I may have one of the type you show.
I don't recall that are and must thank you for helping me learn more of these bikes. ............lm

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home