Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1965 CB77 Rebuild / Possible Resto log

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
fervus
honda305.com Member

1965 CB77 Rebuild / Possible Resto log

Post by fervus » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:02 pm

Alright, here is the bike as I found her. Sitting for 10 years, but run out of gas.

I gave it a good washing first (after which I let it sit in my basement for a few months again, and it built up a layer of dust pretty quick, as I don't have a cover for it yet.) It looked pretty nice all clean and washed:

I took the seat off, unscrewed the bolt holding the air filter covers on, took out the old battery, rectifier, air filters & tubes and took the petcock off the gas tank, but then I was stumped. I'd never worked with engines at all, much less taken apart a carb before, and I couldn't find instructions with pictures and arrows, chilton style, which is what I needed at this point. I didn't want to hurt it, so there it sat, stripped down a bit.

Then, a lucky break! My neighbor's friend was very kind and gracious and came over and patiently showed me a couple things and explained some diagrams out of the books for me. Then he took the gas tank off the frame and showed me how to pull apart the carbs... look how clean they were!

Now that I know how to take the carbs apart, clean them out and put 'em back together I'm so excited to keep taking steps on this project.

While I'm rebuilding the carbs I should change the oil in the engine and check the compression I guess. I also need to figure out my petcock situation, as there was a homemade petcock which I don't really want to keep using.

I'm sure I will have a million questions eventually, but I really appreciate the help and support I've received so far... thanks!

4shorts
honda305.com Member

Post by 4shorts » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:50 pm

Well It seems that you have a nice bike to work with there and I'm sure in time you'll do a nice job on it. Study all the information you can find, take lots of pictures and ask as many questions on here that you need to ask and remember, there's no such thing as a stupid question.

Keep posting. Seems there's more on here that rather watch us guys at this stuff than post comments but in the end we all learn something out of it.

Good luck and enjoy your project. Paul

fervus
honda305.com Member

Post by fervus » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:30 pm

the carbs are ready to be cleaned...

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home