Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

The rebirth of a C78 305 Honda Dream Part 1

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
4shorts
honda305.com Member

The rebirth of a C78 305 Honda Dream Part 1

Post by 4shorts » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:08 pm

Hi everyone. I'll call this post part #1 and as time goes on I'll add more parts to my restoration and that way I think it will be easier to follow. I would also like to say that I'm about as far as a professional motorcycle restorer as you can get so if you see anything that you think I'm doing wrong let me know and that way we can all learn from it.

After I got the Dream running I knew I had a great candidate to restore and at least didn't have to be to concerned about doing any engine work so I decided to dismantle the complete bike. To make my every day work a little easier in my shop I installed a new bike lift a few years ago. The lift is a 1500lbs Handy Lift and me being the owner of an 1800 GoldWing it comes in handy doing the maintenance on that bike. I also use it for my automotive business as an off loading and on loading ramp which really saves me from any back pain lifting stuff off the back of trucks. Before I removed anything off the motorcycle I took dozens of pictures of each and every section of the bike. I stored them on my hard drive so I could look at them when they were needed. I then started to remove the parts from the bike. It took me about four hours to dismantle the complete bike down to the frame. I bagged all the small parts to keep things organized and I also inspected each and every part for any damage while writing down notes on what I knew I would need in parts as I went along.

All the painted parts went to one side of my shop and everything else I put over in another corner of the shop out of the way for the time being. A few days later I took all the painted parts out to the rear of my shop and got ready to sand blast all the painted parts. I had built my own pressure blaster some years ago and It's a fantastic tool to have when doing this sort of project ( Learn more on the sand blaster I built in the link attached below). Sand blasting is not one of my favorite jobs. As a matter of fact I actually hate sand blasting but if you want perfect results to prep for paint sand blasting is the way to go.

It took two large bags of double 0 silica sand to do all the parts except the fuel tank. The fuel tank I put into the cabinet blaster. I used the cabinet blaster because it's more gentle than the pressure blaster and I didn't want to risk damaging the tank. In the pictures below you'll see all the parts removed from the bike and the sand blasting process. In part two which I'll post in a few days you'll see how I prep for painting, what type of paint I use and how I do it. I hope you all don't find this to boring Ha! Ha!. I'm just trying to do my part in bring some needed life into this great site. Enjoy, Paul

Note: Want to learn about my pressure blaster?
Click here
http://www.weldingdesign.com/323/Column ... lse/22589/

prima5star
honda305.com Member

Post by prima5star » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:02 pm

Paul,

Looking at the pictures I am reminded how much a project is helped along by having good tools and space to spread out. I'm looking forward to the assembly process pictures.
Matt

Also into Alfa Romeo Giuliettas and Giulias! Looking for a Giulia Super.

4shorts
honda305.com Member

Post by 4shorts » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:40 pm

Your right Matt about having the right tools and space and although I have the tools I sure could use more space. My shop is a two bay garage and I need it for the general public in the daytime so I have to move things around a good bit. The most important thing to have in my opinion is the love of the work and that in it's self will do it. I just finished painted the tank with base clear and man it sure turned out nice. Paul

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home