Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1964 Superhawk Project

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Wed May 18, 2016 3:26 pm

I received a reproduction side stand from Thailand and decided to install it today. I had previously bought the longer center stand bolt and a longer lower left engine mounting bolt. Installation was really simple. I had anticipated that the center stand spring would pull the mounting holes out of alignment when the bolt was removed and it did, but it was easy to pull the stand back in order to insert the new longer bolt. I torqued the new bolts and added a third 6mm bolt to the center hole, since there was a corresponding hole in the frame for it. No bolt was installed there on the old stand I'm replacing.

On the new stand, the lean is less than the old stand, but it still seems a bit much. I'll be able to judge better when the tank is back on. One thing that surely did not change with the new stand is that it contacts the bottom of the muffler along it's length, rather than at the rubber bumper. I don't know why.
Attachments
Interference
Interference
IMG_1416 3.JPG (288.49 KiB) Viewed 1115 times
Lean with new stand
Lean with new stand
IMG_1413.JPG (264.68 KiB) Viewed 1115 times
Bracket installed
Bracket installed
IMG_1412 2.JPG (223.29 KiB) Viewed 1115 times
Main stand mounting bolts compared
Main stand mounting bolts compared
IMG_1409 3.JPG (216.28 KiB) Viewed 1115 times

SMBH
honda305.com Member

Post by SMBH » Thu May 19, 2016 2:41 am

Seadog wrote:I received a reproduction side stand from Thailand and decided to install it today. I had previously bought the longer center stand bolt and a longer lower left engine mounting bolt. Installation was really simple. I had anticipated that the center stand spring would pull the mounting holes out of alignment when the bolt was removed and it did, but it was easy to pull the stand back in order to insert the new longer bolt. I torqued the new bolts and added a third 6mm bolt to the center hole, since there was a corresponding hole in the frame for it. No bolt was installed there on the old stand I'm replacing.

On the new stand, the lean is less than the old stand, but it still seems a bit much. I'll be able to judge better when the tank is back on. One thing that surely did not change with the new stand is that it contacts the bottom of the muffler along it's length, rather than at the rubber bumper. I don't know why.
I too fitted one of these side stands and at first I had the same problem so I sat down and had a long think the stand needs to be angled down more and I achieved it.
I will try to explain im not too good at explaining things.

You will need to install angled washers they will look like wedges make a think washer and make it into a wedge you will need both pices of the wedge one under the bolt head and one were the stand touches the frame new wedge washers for all the bolts the angle of the wedge you can work that out.
Also it will lift the bike more upright and not lean at such a angle also the rubber stop now hits the muffler how it should, hope this helps worked well on my CB77.

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Thu May 19, 2016 7:59 am

Many thanks SMBH, I understood your explanation perfectly. Were the mounting bolts long enough to take the extra thickness of the angled/beveled washers on either side of the side stand bracket? I've seen these washers in sets somewhere, but I cannot recall where.

Another idea might be to mill both sides of the mounting bracket around the bolt holes to make up the angle. It would take a talented machinist to do that though.
SMBH wrote:I too fitted one of these side stands and at first I had the same problem so I sat down and had a long think the stand needs to be angled down more and I achieved it.
I will try to explain im not too good at explaining things.

You will need to install angled washers they will look like wedges make a think washer and make it into a wedge you will need both pices of the wedge one under the bolt head and one were the stand touches the frame new wedge washers for all the bolts the angle of the wedge you can work that out.
Also it will lift the bike more upright and not lean at such a angle also the rubber stop now hits the muffler how it should, hope this helps worked well on my CB77.
Attachments
Unknown.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg (7.39 KiB) Viewed 1094 times

SMBH
honda305.com Member

Post by SMBH » Thu May 19, 2016 1:34 pm

It's your bike you do what you want with it, im no expert machinist the angled washers I made up were just me and a hacksaw and file they worked very well.

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Thu May 19, 2016 4:55 pm

Thank you SMBH.
SMBH wrote:It's your bike you do what you want with it, im no expert machinist the angled washers I made up were just me and a hacksaw and file they worked very well.

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Fri May 20, 2016 11:23 am

Started the SH this morning. I was eventually able to get the idle down to just under 1000. It still needs tweaking. I took a video for review and comment. I was not able to embed it here, so use the link below if you're interested.

http://vid1186.photobucket.com/albums/z ... mrjbfw.mp4

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri May 20, 2016 4:22 pm

If it runs as well at speed as it does at idle I'd leave it alone...............lm
\
Seadog wrote:Started the SH this morning. I was eventually able to get the idle down to just under 1000. It still needs tweaking. I took a video for review and comment. I was not able to embed it here, so use the link below if you're interested.

http://vid1186.photobucket.com/albums/z ... mrjbfw.mp4

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home