Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1964 Honda Dream CA78 Rebuild-storation

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
Bob750
honda305.com Member

Post by Bob750 » Sat May 18, 2013 8:59 pm

I don't know if anyone out there has gone crazy trying to reassemble the crank shaft roller bearing onto the shaft, but I gave it a shot and quickly realized I would need to simply ask how someone experienced with these motors does it. LM was gracious enough to corroborate one of my ideas on it. Apply a thin film of clean grease on the inside of the large outer race, insert the roller cage into the outer race, insert the individual rollers. The grease sticks them to the outer wall and holds them in their cage--as long as you handle it gently. Once they're all in and the bearing is flat on its back (cage up), pick up the crank and carefully lower the shaft, vertically, into the center of the bearing. While the weight of the crank rests on the bench, steady the shaft with one hand while lifting the assembled bearing up onto the inner race surface. You should now be holding both ends of the crank. Lift it up as a unit and set it flat again. Now you're done....unless you knock the bearing off its perch!

To prevent that from happening at any point between now and the assembly of the motor, I came up with what I believe to be the single most important advance in motorcycle maintenance history since, I dunno, maybe, since yesterday. Check it out:
Mine: '74 CB750 K4 -- Hers: '64 CA78
Had: '75 CB550 K, '79 CT90

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun May 19, 2013 6:07 am

Looks good.
I see you did a good repair for sure. ......lm
Bob750 wrote:Okay, so that was no biggie.

I put a cold chisel on top of the part of the bolt sticking up above the casting and gave it a whack. Aligned it again; gave it another whack. As I was aligning the chisel for a third whack (the slot was coming along nicely), the bolt spun easily; so I just unscrewed it a little with the chisel and then it came the rest of the way by hand.

Done. :-D

Oh yeah. Hey Ed, does this look familiar?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun May 19, 2013 6:08 am

I put the bearing together when I'm ready to install the crank.
No worry about the bearing coming off. .......lm
Bob750 wrote:I don't know if anyone out there has gone crazy trying to reassemble the crank shaft roller bearing onto the shaft, but I gave it a shot and quickly realized I would need to simply ask how someone experienced with these motors does it. LM was gracious enough to corroborate one of my ideas on it. Apply a thin film of clean grease on the inside of the large outer race, insert the roller cage into the outer race, insert the individual rollers. The grease sticks them to the outer wall and holds them in their cage--as long as you handle it gently. Once they're all in and the bearing is flat on its back (cage up), pick up the crank and carefully lower the shaft, vertically, into the center of the bearing. While the weight of the crank rests on the bench, steady the shaft with one hand while lifting the assembled bearing up onto the inner race surface. You should now be holding both ends of the crank. Lift it up as a unit and set it flat again. Now you're done....unless you knock the bearing off its perch!

To prevent that from happening at any point between now and the assembly of the motor, I came up with what I believe to be the single most important advance in motorcycle maintenance history since, I dunno, maybe, since yesterday. Check it out:

brewsky
honda305.com Member

Post by brewsky » Sun May 19, 2013 6:13 am

Bob750 wrote:In the meantime I've been media blasting, sanding, polishing, and painting.

Nothing like a little Mother's after a nice 220-320-600-grit sanding.
Looks like it's gonna be hard to polish out those scratches......I may have an extra set if you are interested in starting over!
66 dream, 78 cb750k, 02fz1, 09 wing

Bob750
honda305.com Member

Post by Bob750 » Sun May 19, 2013 12:43 pm

Brewsky,
Very kind of you to put that to us. Those damn scratches are from some kind of dumb DIY carrying rack a PO must have built. If you'd like to PM me a couple pics, I don't think I'd mind doing some more polishing. Thanks!
brewsky wrote:
Bob750 wrote:In the meantime I've been media blasting, sanding, polishing, and painting.

Nothing like a little Mother's after a nice 220-320-600-grit sanding.
Looks like it's gonna be hard to polish out those scratches......I may have an extra set if you are interested in starting over!
Mine: '74 CB750 K4 -- Hers: '64 CA78
Had: '75 CB550 K, '79 CT90

brewsky
honda305.com Member

Post by brewsky » Sun May 19, 2013 12:58 pm

Let me dig them out and see what they look like.

brewsky
honda305.com Member

Post by brewsky » Sun May 19, 2013 1:44 pm

Here are some crappy pics,..... I'm not much on photography.

The only thing I see that wouldn't sand/polish out is the very front end of of the left one at the mount hole. (See close-up pic)

Looks like the side cover had been rubbing against it.

The female threads for the little covers are good, but I don't have the covers or extra screws.

They are yours if you can use them.
Attachments
DSC01090.JPG
DSC01091.JPG
DSC01092.JPG
DSC01093.JPG

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home