Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1964 Superhawk Project

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Tue May 24, 2016 12:00 pm

My first reaction to your photo was "that's nasty!", but overlooking the rust, etc., it's really not. It was a nice installation and must have looked good in the day. Will you keep it, or repair/replace the headlight bucket?
G-Man wrote:I like the look of that. On my 1961 CB72 someone had neatly grafted a Lucas ammeter into the headlamp for a similar purpose.

G

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue May 24, 2016 2:18 pm

I'd say that will make for a better safer installation. ................lm
Seadog wrote:Happy to help. I'd help with parts sales too, if you have a good right side muffler....

I was just looking at the on-line manual for the ChargeGuard and see that they've improved the current sensor. It no longer has the copper tabs. I think that's a good thing.

LOUD MOUSE wrote:Thanks.
I'll collect the monies from parts sales and get one.
Looks like a really easy test of the charge system. ..................lm

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Wed May 25, 2016 8:05 am

Seadog

I have acquired a couple of spare early headlamp shells in addition to that one, so yes it might be a really nice link to the past. Despite what we were all told, the electrics on these bikes were little better than the Lucas systems on British bike of the period with the same under/over charging problems.

G

Seadog wrote:My first reaction to your photo was "that's nasty!", but overlooking the rust, etc., it's really not. It was a nice installation and must have looked good in the day. Will you keep it, or repair/replace the headlight bucket?
G-Man wrote:I like the look of that. On my 1961 CB72 someone had neatly grafted a Lucas ammeter into the headlamp for a similar purpose.

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Wed May 25, 2016 10:54 am

Just my opinion, but I think keeping it is the best idea, especially if you have a shell that you can replace it with, if you ever need to show the bike or (gasp) sell it.

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Wed May 25, 2016 11:01 am

The Kohler R/R seems to be working okay. At idle, I'm at 13.+ volts. It bounces around and rises on rev. I checked the temperature on both sides of the Kohler unit with an infrared thermometer and it was in the mid 70s F. Feels cool to the touch, even after a long idle. The seat and side covers were off, however. Air temp was about 70 F.
Attachments
IMG_1438.JPG
IMG_1438.JPG (275.08 KiB) Viewed 857 times

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Sat May 28, 2016 4:04 pm

I have received a Sachse electronic ignition unit and will be attempting to install it this week. I had started a thread about this yesterday in the ignition section, but somehow deleted it when editing it this morning. I'll take up the project here. It's my intention to install it without external wiring. I don't like the idea of cutting a slot in the side case for it. I think it can be done. I'll post photos as I go.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sat May 28, 2016 5:06 pm

I look forward t the finished product. ...............lm
Seadog wrote:I have received a Sachse electronic ignition unit and will be attempting to install it this week. I had started a thread about this yesterday in the ignition section, but somehow deleted it when editing it this morning. I'll take up the project here. It's my intention to install it without external wiring. I don't like the idea of cutting a slot in the side case for it. I think it can be done. I'll post photos as I go.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home