Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1964 Honda Dream CA78 Rebuild-storation

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
Izoomx2
honda305.com Member

green with envy !

Post by Izoomx2 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:56 am

New dream owner here and I gotta say your resto is fantastic looking ! I got my 67 about a month ago , so far we're just gonna make sure it runs well and leave it crusty this year ! Yours is what mine aspires to be ! Fine job !

Bob750
honda305.com Member

Re: green with envy !

Post by Bob750 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:17 am

Thank you, Izoomx2! That means a lot. BTW, we had only wanted a runner so my wife could ride around with me. We didn't want a project. Then the transmission acted up and the KS shaft started to become "self motivating." Even then I was just going to rebuild the engine, put it back in and go... Once we had all the parts and I had the cases redone, we realized it would be a shame to put such a nice motor in such a crusty bike... THEN we had to admit we had a project on our hands. It's been almost a year, some of that waiting for parts, some waiting for money for parts. But it's all here and I hope to have the bike ready to start next week!

And it would be irresponsible for me not to mention that I could NOT have done it without the help from this forum along with Bill Silver's literature on these bikes and a select few members here who supplied parts and labor and wisdom!!
Izoomx2 wrote:New dream owner here and I gotta say your resto is fantastic looking ! I got my 67 about a month ago , so far we're just gonna make sure it runs well and leave it crusty this year ! Yours is what mine aspires to be ! Fine job !
Mine: '74 CB750 K4 -- Hers: '64 CA78
Had: '75 CB550 K, '79 CT90

Izoomx2
honda305.com Member

isn't that the way it starts !

Post by Izoomx2 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:32 am

I know that drill ! A few years back , I drug a 1960 ranchero out of a field , just wanted an old beater for home depot runs , etc. Fast forward two years , new paint,body work , interior, ( I bought a machine,took a class, and did my own tuck & roll) and all of a sudden , I hated throwing bricks and old lawnmowers in the back ! But , alas , no matter how pretty it looked ,and drove , was still a 1960 ranchero and was a real horror to drive ! I sold it and now have an old Volvo wagon for the dirty work , but I can't help wondering about a ford 5.0 and 5speed trans,,,,,,

Dgormley
honda305.com Member

White Dream

Post by Dgormley » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:58 pm

Bob, I love the proximity of the fridge to the work area, intentional? Beautiful bike....D BTW, the next time I'm in the LB ( my daughter lives there, I go down about five times a year) I,d like to check out your dream.

Bob750
honda305.com Member

Re: White Dream

Post by Bob750 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:39 am

The fridge being next to the bike lift is more of a pain than a convenience (especially when there's no beer in it). But the house we're renting is too small for our fridge and so we put ours out in the garage and use the one that came with the house in the kitchen. And thanks! I just put the motor in it today. Hi hope to have it running around again next week. I need to wait till Tuesday for the POR-15 to finish kicking...

Let me know when you'll be in town; I'm sure my wife won't mind showing it off. :)
Dgormley wrote:Bob, I love the proximity of the fridge to the work area, intentional? Beautiful bike....D BTW, the next time I'm in the LB ( my daughter lives there, I go down about five times a year) I,d like to check out your dream.

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:02 am

Bob, great work and a very, very interesting, detailed and superbly coherent thread. I'm following this with as much interest as I have been with Sara's narrative and fab progress.

Sorry if that appears patronising; it's certainly not meant to. I just love to observe anything that's well done, well made or engineered!

Bob750
honda305.com Member

Post by Bob750 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:41 am

Thank you Steve!

I--er--I- I don't know what else to say! Except... maybe we should wait to see if it starts on Tuesday!! Haha! But seriously, I appreciate your very kind words and all the helpful posts from you and the other members.

Thank you again.

Bob
e3steve wrote:Bob, great work and a very, very interesting, detailed and superbly coherent thread. I'm following this with as much interest as I have been with Sara's narrative and fab progress.

Sorry if that appears patronising; it's certainly not meant to. I just love to observe anything that's well done, well made or engineered!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home