Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
Just to complete the project update, I did post the final outcome elsewhere on the forum under painting a tank but will also repeat it here just to finish of the project post.
I removed the lacquer completely using 800 grit wet and dry. I then reapplied the fuel resistant lacquer as per the instructions, ie one thin coat, wait a minimum 15 mins apply a second coat and wait 15 mins up to three coats but at no stage wait more than an hour after which no more lacquer can be applied. After a week it was hard enough to compound and polish and has proved to be completely fuel resistant with no signs of lifting the paint around the filler cap. Hope this helps you guys avoid my mistake.