Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CA78 headlight wiring

Charging System, Wiring, Lighting
jonkreuz
honda305.com Member

CA78 headlight wiring

Post by jonkreuz » Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:49 pm

Hello, I'm looking for a little help with the headlight wiring on my CA78 dream. I've got the harness all back together on the bike, and everything electrical works, except for the headlight. Looking at the schematic online, I don't see at any point where the headlight actually gets power? I have the red wire from the bulb going to the red wire from the switch, the blue from the bulb to the blue from the switch, and the green from the switch is going into the green female duplex connector. The green from the bulb is just grounded to the shell the same way I have seen others online. I have attached some pictures, any help would be greatly appreciated.

deuce_7
honda305.com Member

Re: CA78 headlight wiring

Post by deuce_7 » Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:15 am

Might be time to check the LH handlebar Dimmer and Horn switch for electrical integrity and continuity. In an aging and well-used switch, the wiring and contacts will likely show signs of contamination, degradation and/or breakage.

If needed for Vintage Honda Motorcycle Handlebar Switch RECONDITIONING SERVICE, see as a repair option:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/114260138972
1967 CL77 305 Scrambler

Geoff Hastings
honda305.com Member

Re: CA78 headlight wiring

Post by Geoff Hastings » Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:48 am

On the CA77 which I assume is the same, a green wire comes from the ignition switch with 12volts to the dip switch and the switch diverts the power to the bulb via the red or blue wire. What ever the colour wires you have check the feed from the ignition switch to the dip or dimmer switch.
Attachments
IMG_0236.jpeg

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home