Admirers

Anyone know of a Condensor DIY for a CL77

Charging System, Wiring, Lighting
jrod1540
honda305.com Member

Anyone know of a Condensor DIY for a CL77

Post by jrod1540 » Thu May 24, 2018 9:05 am

Hi all,

I recently bought a pair of condensors off ebay for my 67 cl77. A course the tab that was wrapped around them wasn't right so i had to bend it to get it to fit through part of it. Long story short.... go me thinking" these are probably china or some low quality and will likely fail at some point and oddly enough this is kind of a hard part to source. Has anyone come up with a DIY method for the generic coils you can pick up at the local auto parts store?

I'm a little confused because on the CL77 they connect between the coil and points where on my 71 cb500 the condenser only has one wire. Thinking out loud.... i guess it doesn't matter, you jst have to run an additional wire from coil to points and connect condenser I think.

thanks

revlover
honda305.com Member

Post by revlover » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:28 pm

Sorry about the late reply. For the CL77, you must have two separate condensers. Connecting the point leads together will only result in no spark since it's a 180 degree twin. As far as auto parts store condensers, yes just about any of them should work. The coils, however, will be difficult to retrofit with anything made for cars because of the size constraints and also because of their lower primary resistances. Your best bet for coils might be some EMGO universals which are about the same size, cylindrical shape, and resistance as the somewhat scarce Honda originals. Hope this helps.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home