Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

coil wiring cb77

Charging System, Wiring, Lighting
kawonda750
honda305.com Member

coil wiring cb77

Post by kawonda750 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:46 pm

I got a new wiring harness for the CB 77. It has 2 black and white switched power leads separate as well as 2 black leads in about the same area around the coils. I see in the wiring diagram that 1 goes to the coil and one goes to the horn. I wonder if the 2 black leads in the pic coming from the main harness are for the horn? do the coils each use a separate black and white? Or, does one go to the horn?
If so, what is the other black lead for?

kawonda750
honda305.com Member

coil wiring

Post by kawonda750 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:22 am

Does no one have an idea about this ?

Tim Allman
honda305.com Member

Post by Tim Allman » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:25 am

One pair goes to the coils and the other to the horn. When the harness is installed it will be obvious which is which.

You can also check this out with a continuity tester or ohmmeter. The coil wires are really just one hot wire which branches inside the harness so there will be continuity between them. With the horn wires you should find continuity to the wire which connects to the horn button on one of them and the IG terminal on the ignition switch.

There's a nice wiring diagram posted here.

kawonda750
honda305.com Member

coil wiring

Post by kawonda750 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:45 am

I figured that I would go as per the diagram. I used the black and white two , one to each coil and the 2 blacks as the horn.
Thanks
Dave

DJM
honda305.com Member

CB Wiring.

Post by DJM » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:46 pm

I'm not sure about the black / white striped wires. If you have an aftermarket loom and it's the same as the OEM Honda one, the two wires for the coils are in the small supplementary harness that goes to the battery / rectifier / ignition switch.

The two wire for the horn come out of the main loom in the appropriate position. One of these is 'HOT' IE is live whenever the ignition is switched on, the other one goes to the horn button via the headlight shell. It doesn't matter which way round you connect them on the horn.

Be aware though that you should have TWO black wires in the main loom in the headlight shell / bucket. On of these is live all the time and goes to the lighting switch, the other connects to the horn button.

I think the two black wires have different connectors, one male and one female but, if you get them crossed over you will blow the main fuse when you press the horn button!

kawonda750
honda305.com Member

coil wiring

Post by kawonda750 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:29 pm

Ok . We will soon find out. I have ordered a battery and should have it for next weekend.

The 2 black and white wires are separate from the main loom and go to the switch.

Thank you.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home