Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

tips on removing right side case?

Charging System, Wiring, Lighting
allthumbs
honda305.com Member

tips on removing right side case?

Post by allthumbs » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:38 am

I'm replacing the stator in my 65 Superhawk with a fresher one. Having a damned time getting the right side off. Are there any tips tricks to know when doing this that may enlighten me? I do have the manuals, the answer eludes me.

any help is much appreciated

sotxbill
honda305.com Member

Post by sotxbill » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:59 am

are you having trouble removing the screws or just the cover after all the screws are out??

If all the screws are out.. and I dont remember if you have to remove one of the three screws that hole the oil filter cover on or not,, as like some of the other hondas... but...

I take a rubber mallet and tap firmly.. sometimes I have even had to work a screwdriver blade in the top area and tap to break loose the glue, goo, gasket sealer, blood, grease, gunk, .. well you get the point. Be very careful forcing a very small screwdriver in between the cover as it will and can cut a groove in to the soft aluminum and then you will have a possible leak.. so i never do that on the bottom, only the top where i can apply extra goop to reseal the covers. A very small blade or even a knife blade that can help separate it while tapping can do the trick.

If its screws. .then there are about 6 good ways to get them out. Lots of info on it as well.

good luck.. bill

Wait,, this is the 305 forum.. yes you do have to remove the top screw on the oil filter cover.. so dont over look this. (thought i was some where else)

you have to remove the oil filter screw,(top one) on the left cover and the three screws on the rotor cover on the right. 450s are reversed and i'm working on three different bikes this weekend. Sorry again.

allthumbs
honda305.com Member

Post by allthumbs » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:05 pm

Thanks Sotxbill,

I'm talking about the other side, after the screws are all out. and the outward impediments are removed.

Wilf
honda305.com Member

Post by Wilf » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:10 pm

If you have all the screws out of the case I can't see why the right side should be tough to remove unless the splines on the kick shaft are really bad or have rusted onto its mating gear. There shouldn't be any gasket or sealer between the engine case and the right side cover.

The kick start shaft should want to flip backwards because it's under spring tension, so be prepared for that.

Wilf

allthumbs
honda305.com Member

Post by allthumbs » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:38 pm

Thanks Wilf,

It's a pretty well lubed machine, I'll apply more force and watch out for that spring. Probably just that, or the neutral switch binding it up

Wilf
honda305.com Member

Post by Wilf » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:20 pm

The neutral switch shouldn't give you any binding at all when trying to remove the right cover. To get that cover off, undo the 3 alternator cover screws and remove the cover plate. Then undo the 7 (I think) right cover screws. I usually undo the 2 screws holding the little chain guard section as well. The right side cover should come off easily.

Wilf

chico
honda305.com Member

the other right side cover

Post by chico » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:08 am

AT. Is the stater cover off, three small screws?
chico(steve)
66 CB77
ride safe

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home