Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Mirrors... options...CA77 Dream...

Restoration and Cosmetic Upkeep
rzgkane
honda305.com Member

Post by rzgkane » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:21 pm

I'm going to drill out and tap the new handles to accommodate the M12 x 1.75 (exterior dimension) insert. There appears to be plenty of meat in the perch to allow for it as the pilot hole pre-tap is only 10.4mm and the hole is already 10mm give or take .25.

If not, I've got adapters coming that will screw into the 10mm holes and accept the 8mm mirror and look quite ugly in the process.

LOUD MOUSE wrote:What ya going to make the new threads for the coil to fit into?. .......lm

rzgkane wrote:I'm buying a couple of these. I think they'll do the job:

http://www.catalogds.com/db/service?dom ... duct=453_8
LOUD MOUSE wrote:Ya need the kit. ............lm

rzgkane wrote:
davomoto wrote:A 8mmx1.25 helicoil will thread right into the hole on that perch, and allow you to use your mirrors.

Davo

http://www.ebay.com/itm/M8-X-1-25-Perma ... 4601765e31
Thanks.

So a Heli-coil sold as an "8mm x 1.25" would have an outside dimension of 10mm x 1.25?

If so, I'll just buy the inserts. Otherwise, I'll need the entire thread repair kit with the bit and tap included.

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:53 pm

Sorry, dropped the ball on this, been too busy! The insert is all you need, as the 10mm hole is the correct size and pitch for the insert. Just tried it, and it goes right in. You'll need an insert tool, you can make one on a grinder.

Davo

rzgkane
honda305.com Member

Post by rzgkane » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:14 pm

davomoto wrote:Sorry, dropped the ball on this, been too busy! The insert is all you need, as the 10mm hole is the correct size and pitch for the insert. Just tried it, and it goes right in. You'll need an insert tool, you can make one on a grinder.

Davo
You got two inserts you can mail me? I'll drop you a few $$ via paypal. I don't need that entire kit, tap included, from ebay.

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:31 am

Napa auto parts stores, and other auto parts stores I'm sure, sell replacement coils. Pack of 10 if I remember right. It's worth it to buy the whole kit, as I use mine probably a dozen or more times a year. The old mechanics were a heavy handed lot, and liked to thread american bolts into these old bikes!

Davo

rzgkane
honda305.com Member

Post by rzgkane » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:51 am

Permacoil to the rescue. Thanks a ton for that tip. Threaded right in. I've been tooling around the beach with no mirrors these last few 80 degree So Cal days.
davomoto wrote:Napa auto parts stores, and other auto parts stores I'm sure, sell replacement coils. Pack of 10 if I remember right. It's worth it to buy the whole kit, as I use mine probably a dozen or more times a year. The old mechanics were a heavy handed lot, and liked to thread american bolts into these old bikes!

Davo

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:43 pm

Jeez, we're stuck in the low 50s up in Norcal! Glad it worked out for you!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home