Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Finishing Details

Restoration and Cosmetic Upkeep
mcconnellfrance
honda305.com Member

Finishing Details

Post by mcconnellfrance » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:48 pm

Just finished polishing my CB77 front and rear brake plates and now I am wondering whether to lacquer them. I recall that my original sixties S65 and CB72 had a lacquer finish but after a few years threads of corrosion crept under the lacquer. Would be pleased to have some experience from the forum on pros and cons so that i can decide.
Thanks.

ImageUntitled by Gordon McConnell, on Flickr

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:53 am

I have tried several ways of finishing but the part has to be really clean to take the lacquer. My expert friend recommends heating the part while applying the lacquer.

You can also get clear powder coat now and that might work better.

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

mcconnellfrance
honda305.com Member

Post by mcconnellfrance » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:53 am

G,
I had a careful look at the surface finish I had achieved during polishing and there were still some surface imperfections which had not polished out. These were in difficult to get at areas which my polishing mops and I decided that I would not spend more effort trying to get a 'perfect' finish. Because of the brake plate being not perfectly clean, I decided against trying to apply lacquer this time.

I have re-assembled the brake plates with the re-chromed levers and they look pretty good.

ImageCB77 Front Brake by Gordon McConnell, on Flickr

ImageCB77 Rear Brake Plate by Gordon McConnell, on Flickr

I noticed that the method of attaching the brake levers is different on the front and rear brake. I dont know whether this normal for the year of manufacture (1964) or a mix of earlier and later parts on the bike.

Anyway, I am pleased with the refurbishing result even if I will have to regularly polish the plates with SolvolAutosol!

Thanks again for your kind advice.

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:17 am

Gordon

The alloy used for these brake plates is not perfect quality and you will find imperfections under the surface. Polishing off more material is not a guarantee of perfection.

Not sure of the exact dates but I would think somewhere around '63 was the cut-off for the older type linkages with the retaining nut. I would not expect your bike to have one of each type.

The later 'pinch' clamp type would be correct for your bike, in my opinion. If you are keen to get them to match I may be able to help out with a swap.

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:59 am

You did a nice job on those plates, Gordon.

My '64 has pinch clamps front and rear. Is it possible that the rear brake plate was replaced with an older plate at some point in time?

mcconnellfrance
honda305.com Member

Post by mcconnellfrance » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:40 pm

Thanks for the compliment Seadog. It's nice to see the rechromed parts installed as they were very rusted and let down the look of the bike which was pretty good elsewhere.
The bike originated from New Zealand and I think a lot of parts are not original. The engine was rebuilt and I know from the invoice I received with the bike that it used parts from another engine. However, the frame and engine numbers are very close together.
So it is quite likely the rear brake came from another bike.
Graham, thanks for the clarification on the different designs. I will send you a pm.

Gordon

mcconnellfrance
honda305.com Member

Post by mcconnellfrance » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:41 pm

Thanks for the compliment Seadog. It's nice to see the rechromed parts installed as they were very rusted and let down the look of the bike which was pretty good elsewhere.
The bike originated from New Zealand and I think a lot of parts are not original. The engine was rebuilt and I know from the invoice I received with the bike that it used parts from another engine. However, the frame and engine numbers are very close together.
So it is quite likely the rear brake came from another bike.
Graham, thanks for the clarification on the different designs. I will send you a pm.

Gordon

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home