Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Restoration - Concours Judging "Depth"

Restoration and Cosmetic Upkeep
Bob750
honda305.com Member

Post by Bob750 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:32 pm

Thank you G.

I appreciate your input and I see your point with the Matchless anecdote. Was that a maddening or laughable experience for you?

This bike is for riding. My wife will be putting up to 2000 miles a year on it during the riding season, which, in southern California, can be 24 months long (this week notwithstanding).

This bike will also be for showing. And for that reason, I would like to keep it as stock as possible. There are only a few things that are not original on this bike and which cannot easily be changed. So where I can easily do better, I'd like to know. And since it has not been judged, nor I been to a judged show, I am relying on others' wisdom to better our odds of having a high-points bike the first time out. At that point the judges will let us know what is "wrong" with it in their eyes.
Mine: '74 CB750 K4 -- Hers: '64 CA78
Had: '75 CB550 K, '79 CT90

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:39 pm

I think that you need to have 'period correct' parts for the following.

Headlamp
Grips
tires ( something with a whitewall that is not a Firestone ) Ribbed front, block rear.
seat
case screws
wheel rims / spokes ( no nasty Taiwanese knock offs )
Painted engine side covers and carb covers (not polished)
Points cover in dull finish
Metal rear shock covers for a white bike.
Correct finish for zinc parts of that period some 'yellow' some silver parts.....
Correct tank badges
period battery
period plug caps (gray or black?)
If you are going to upgrade electrics you should conceal the changes.
etc.... etc....

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

Bob750
honda305.com Member

Post by Bob750 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:37 pm

Headlamp - Stock original
Grips - Gran Tourismo, would need changing
tires (something with a whitewall that is not a Firestone) Ribbed front, block rear. Gonna be a problem with WW Firestones, I suppose.
seat - black leather, on original frame
case screws - Internal hex. Could be swapped easily.
wheel rims / spokes ( no nasty Taiwanese knock offs ) - Polished Stainless from CWC (UK) and Stainless spokes from Buchanan's
Painted engine side covers and carb covers (not polished) - All good.
Points cover in dull finish - Yes!
Metal rear shock covers for a white bike. - Poses a problem
Correct finish for zinc parts of that period some 'yellow' some silver parts..... - Hmm. Might be missing the yellows.
Correct tank badges - Yes!
period battery - Yes!
period plug caps (gray or black?) - Dunno which would be correct but has modern NGKs
If you are going to upgrade electrics you should conceal the changes. - None so far.

So, maybe it won't be a winner... Gotta think about it.
Mine: '74 CB750 K4 -- Hers: '64 CA78
Had: '75 CB550 K, '79 CT90

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:00 am

Bob

I am not an authority. I just threw those things out. The silver / gold zinc passivation intrigues me. Usually the electrical fittings have gold passivation while most everything else is silver. The stock condenser and points plate are gold passivated as are the rectifier and winker relay bracket. Most everything mechanical is silver except for spoke nipples and some carb fittings. Sometimes spoke nipples were nickel plated brass, sometimes gold passivated zinc plated steel. The 'gold' is the stuff that most people mistakenly describe as cadmium plating.

I have a pair (actually not a pair) of NOS carbs for a CL77. One has gold passivated fittings and the other has silver - go figure.....

In the UK I get the impression that the formula is to get all of the little details right and then make the bike a little bit shinier.

Personally I think that 'battle-worn' bikes that are largely unrestored should score higher. What we call 'check book' restorations, where a guy just pays other people to do everything should be scored lower.

One think that made me laugh recently..... My neighbour has a Triumph Rocket 3. He bought a custom-painted set of panels on eBay for it. Put them on and then won 'best paint job' at a Triumph gathering....

My real personal opinion is that you should enjoy the bike as is. Let your wife enjoy it and enjoy the occasional comment from onlookers. And if you want some steel rear shock covers - I'm your man....... !

G
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

SWARDLAW
honda305.com Member

Post by SWARDLAW » Fri May 09, 2014 10:02 am

Bob,
I'm not an expert on the fine points of what judges want to see at shows but I've been going to shows for motorcycles and cars since the 70's. I have restored volkswagens, boats, campers and a few Nortons motorcyles for years and currently have a 62 beetle that my wife and I take to shows. A few years ago it seemed every car or motorcycle had to be a 100 point restore to get anyone to notice. Now it seems to have changed for bikes and cars. People are being drawn toward the preserved not restored cars and bikes. I think the thought is that anyone can throw tons of money at a project and have it turn out nice but it takes special care to preserve and still use the old bikes and cars. Just make sure that whatever you do with yours puts a smile on you and your wifes face. Have fun!

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Fri May 09, 2014 2:26 pm

Excellent philosophy. I have some bikes which simply cannot be preserved so I have to restore them. I try and do the work myself except for plating.

My Matchless G3 is the exception; it is battle-worn and preserved. Not a desirable bike but a real survivor.

Matchless at Derby Industrial Museum by graham.curtis, on Flickr

G
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

peter4821
honda305.com Member

Post by peter4821 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:37 pm

I do some judging at some of the events around the north east.Except in concourse safety upgrades are acceptable in my book. If you ride the bike to the show you get some slack on the fit and finish. The big thing is really what the field looks like. If you are the best look'in pig in the pen you win. If you want to build a $10,000 trailer queen and play with the money guys be my guest.,I like to ask the owner questions and look to see if there is any dirt under the finger nails. Over time {50} years very very few bikes are original unless they have extremely low miles and a judge can spot that sort of jewel a mile away. Just do the best you can and you will learn the tricks. Good luck..

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home