Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Should I replace my wheel bearings?

Restoration and Cosmetic Upkeep
Jethro
honda305.com Member

Should I replace my wheel bearings?

Post by Jethro » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:10 am

Hi I'm at the reassembly point in my restoration of a '63 CA77. I'm wondering if I should replace my wheel bearings. I have not gotten into the front wheel but I disassembled the rear wheel hub last night. I'm thinking I should replace them with a sealed bearing since the seal looks pretty shot. Thanks in advance.

Jethro

cyclon36
honda305.com Member

Post by cyclon36 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:58 pm

Well, I think the answer is in your question since you noticed the seal is shot already. I find it's best to replace what you can when the bike is apart, especially if the parts are inexpensive or not expensive enough to worry about spending the extra money.

Jethro
honda305.com Member

Post by Jethro » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:19 pm

Right on, thanks for your reply. Thats kind of what I figured. Appreciate the input

Jethro

bikedoctor99
honda305.com Member

Post by bikedoctor99 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:27 pm

Just a thought- as I was putting my bike together, I would occasionally think " what if I didn't replace/ repair an item, what is the potential for disaster?". Sometimes it would be late 2/3 AM, work would only be a few hours away, or I would loose several hours by getting side tracked on a particular problem- then I would think "good enough- job done". Next opportunity I would spend the time to do the job right. Remember: it is our responsibility to get the greatest satisfaction from our machines by doing the job correctly (occasionally we have to learn from our mistakes- minimize this option), otherwise we'll spend too much time doing avoidable repairs. Keep the rubber side down!!

Jethro
honda305.com Member

Post by Jethro » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:33 am

Great logic BikeDoc. I often have the same thoughts and need to take a break for a day or two to ponder the priorities for my project. So now that my head is clear again I now have all bearings removed from front and rear wheels, I am wondering what you guys have done when it comes to bearing replacement. As I have said above, the seals for my rear wheel are shot. I would like to install sealed bearings. I guess I would also prefer to put sealed bearings in the front wheel as well but I would like to know what you guys have done in the past. Jethro

B727captain
honda305.com Member

1961 Honda Dream Battery(305)

Post by B727captain » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:51 pm

Cannot seem to locate a batt.for the 61 thru people here in CO. Anyone have any suggestions for places to contact? There must be something that will fit the batt. holder. Bill

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home