Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Couple of questions on maintaing my 66 305 dream

Restoration and Cosmetic Upkeep
norm-ormond66305
honda305.com Member

Couple of questions on maintaing my 66 305 dream

Post by norm-ormond66305 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:37 pm

Does anyone know a good online place to order items for my dream, mostly the cap nuts and larger size nut for the rear axle. Also, were these all originally chrome and the washers also?

2. Does anyone know how to tell if guard rails were original or what the original Honda ones looked like? Mine has them but I need to remove them for a national show if not original Honda equipment.

3. Mine has a black mudflap on the front fender with the HOnda logo on it. Was that originally made by Honda?

4. My original grips, nicknamed "titty grips" don't want to budge. Does anyone know how to get them off without ruining them. I want to buff out all the hand controls but don't want to burn the rubber in the grips.

5. I am not very mechanical, but am trying - mostly cosmetic work now. If I take off the derby cover on the left side (side with the shifter bar) does the oil have to be drained out? I am due for a oil change, the bike is 40 years old and has 4,000 miles on it. (At least I think it is due, but not according to the schedule)...

If anyone can help, I would appreciate it. In exchange I have the original owners manual and will be scanning it soon for a .pdf file.

Almost forgot, does anyone have the screwdriver handle holder that came with the original tool kit they might sell? I have the rest of the tool kit but missing that one part...
Thanks..
Norm - Ormond Beach, FL

kustommusic
honda305.com Member

Post by kustommusic » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:26 pm

Norm, Gonna skip a couple of your questions and go to the cover on the left side of your engine. Yes drop the oil from the crank case. Remove that cover to access your oil slinger and remove it and clean it.If you have a owners manual I believe the instructions are in there. The rest of the stuff I don't have answers for but there are alot of guys on this board that can help. Give it a couple of days. And post a picture too, Steve Greer

CR93Dave
honda305.com Member

Post by CR93Dave » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:06 pm

The modflap is originial.
Those grips are an aftermarket item and not the original ones.
All the nuts and bolts were plated but not all are chrome and yes an oil change is needed

norm-ormond66305
honda305.com Member

Thanks for the answers...one more quick one

Post by norm-ormond66305 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:28 am

Thanks for helping me out on some of the info I needed. One more item, I just took off my guard rails because I found they had a ASC decal on them (not a Honda part)...On the frame are two holes a long bolt went through to hold the guard rails onto the frame. Does anyone know if there was originally a bolt going through these holes or were they open on each side.??
Thanks in advance..

j666laz
honda305.com Member

Post by j666laz » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:22 pm

A good source for NOS, used and remanufactured parts is www.ohiocycle.com

This guy sells quality parts and has an extensive inventory.

Good luck!

Jeff Laskowski
Jeff Laskowski
j666laz@yahoo.com

norm-ormond66305
honda305.com Member

Thanks for tips and help from readers

Post by norm-ormond66305 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:28 pm

Thanks to people who have been posting/emailing me on tips. I also sent for and received Bill Silver (Mr. Honda) Restoration Guide, etc. It is a wealth of knowledge and I am sifting through that to learn more. I had a couple of questions after receiving the guide and Bill promptly answered them. I encourage anyone doing a restoration to order it and take the time to read it..
I'll be at the May 27 Concourse D'Elegance show in St. Augustine World Golf Village. Hope to see some of you there. I'm not going to win awards but to "pick your brain on help!"
Norm/Ormond Beach, FL :D

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home