Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Differences between C72/77 and CB72/77

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Differences between C72/77 and CB72/77

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon May 21, 2012 5:47 pm

They are the same other than the 60 issue which has 8 rather than 9 holes at the case side.
All the really early ones had 8 even the CB72. ..............lm
arthur305 wrote:Hi all, Looks like my task of mating the CB77 top end onto a C72 bottom end would be quite difficult.
I understand from other contacts that the C72/77 barrels are slightly different than the CB72/77 in that the oilways/galleries are in different positions - anyone verify this?

I guess I will have to start looking for a CB77 bottom end.
Arthur

CliffC
honda305.com Member

Post by CliffC » Mon May 21, 2012 11:25 pm

I guess what I'm still trying to figure out is how this discussion on differences got put on the paint topic. Doesn't anybody read anymore or is it just me. cliff

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue May 22, 2012 3:18 am

I answer questions. ..........lm
CliffC wrote:I guess what I'm still trying to figure out is how this discussion on differences got put on the paint topic. Doesn't anybody read anymore or is it just me. cliff

jensen
honda305.com Member

Post by jensen » Tue May 22, 2012 5:00 am

Hi Arthur,

Please remove the left side cover of the head and take a picture of it.
If this cam is uncut, and doesn't have a gear on it, there is a good change that it has the C72 cam setup. It's also possible that the head is not a CB head but a CL head, with CL cams in it (heads are the same).

Like Ed (LM) said, the cylinders are the same, except early / late (8 hole versus 9 hole).

Best way to see what you have is disassemble the top cover and peak inside the head.

I don't understand why a mechanic would put an engine together that doesn't run (function wise), so I guess it will run, because he probably used a set of C cams instead of CB cams to work with the crank, or he shouldn't name himself a mechanic in the first place. How sure are you about his professionalism anyway ?

I also suggest that you read in a bit about these bikes, the bill silver books are a good start.

Jensen
assembly of Japanese motorcycles requires great peace of mind (Pirsig)

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home