Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Clear Coat Issues

pwilke1
honda305.com Member

Clear Coat Issues

Post by pwilke1 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:20 am

I'm in the final stages of painting my 66 Honda Dream. In preparing the bike, I removed all paint/primer to the bare metal. Sprayed a high quantity filler primer. Wet sanded the primer to a smooth finish. Applied 4-5 coats of Dupli-Color Paint Shop Jet Black paint. I waited 48 hours before wet sanding in preparation of applying the Paint Shop Clear Coat. After sanding the paint coat to a smooth finish, I tack clothed the bike and applied a light coat of clear coat.

However after doing so, I realized the excess clear coat seems to be "drying" and floating though the air once sprayed. It's creating a film of dust over my freshly cleared parts. In addition the clear coat also seems to be "stringing" together much like a spider web and can be seen floating in the air as well.

I'm spraying in in a clean paint booth and had no issues when panting. Any ideas? I've tried adjusting my gun and ensured I'm shooting at the correct PSI.

Thanks in advance for the help.

pwilke1
honda305.com Member

Post by pwilke1 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:29 pm

Thanks to Louisiana's weather, humidity seems to have been the culprit. I suppose if I would have checked the forecast of 90% humidity I may have waited to clear.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home