Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

painting Blue '68 305 Dream

clarenceada
honda305.com Member

Post by clarenceada » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:00 am

Here is a better picture of the Toyota blue:

And a bleated thanks for the posts; slik wily, I hope my bike comes out half as nice as yours.

Clarence

cyclon36
honda305.com Member

Post by cyclon36 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:29 am

Looking good Clarence. Can't wait to see it all together. When do you plan on doing the plating work?

Did you take the fender back to the shop at all? Most reputable shops would have corrected a problem like that for free. Somebody probably walked in after a McDonalds lunch and picked your fender up by the end leaving a greasy fingerprint where your paint flaked off.

clarenceada
honda305.com Member

Post by clarenceada » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:23 pm

Thanks for the comments Cyclon; I sent the rims to a shop in Medford, Or. thru my painter, the rest will be powder coat on the smaller stuff underneath and paint the remainder.

In hindsight, I think the first painter did a competent job; I just wasn't ready for the price tag. the other shop's make them shine in comparison, they just don't do powder coating. I think I might take the new black Dream front fender that needs the "curb ouch" that most Dreams get:

fixed and bring the blue one in and see if they will fix it to boot (they have a 30 day bring back policy) as they did excellent metal work.

Clarence

cyclon36 wrote:Looking good Clarence. Can't wait to see it all together. When do you plan on doing the plating work?

Did you take the fender back to the shop at all? Most reputable shops would have corrected a problem like that for free. Somebody probably walked in after a McDonalds lunch and picked your fender up by the end leaving a greasy fingerprint where your paint flaked off.
ng good Clarence. Can't wait to see it all together. When do you plan on doing the plating work?

Did you take the fender back to the shop at all? Most reputable shops would have corrected a problem like that for free. Somebody probably walked in after a McDonalds lunch and picked your fender up by the end leaving a greasy fingerprint where your paint flaked off.[/quote]

Sascha
honda305.com Member

Post by Sascha » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:00 pm

Looks like you and I had similar colours in mind! ;)

I went with candy concentrate blue (with a white base coat) and four coats of clear... Check it out:

_MG_0363 by RustyOlive, on Flickr

-Sascha

clarenceada
honda305.com Member

Post by clarenceada » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:53 am

Hi, Sasch, you have a great looking paint job. When I first saw your thread and the gorgeous red dream you started with, my first reaction was NO! don't do it , but now I see where you are going, I really like your custom. It's just been so long since I've rode my Dream (sob) and it's always been a rat bike since I've had it that I drull over pictures of Dreams on-line.

Now that I Have two Dreams I may end up going the custom rout on one as I only have one set of original pipes. Has anyone ever tried to lower the front fender so it rides with the tire but keeping the leading axle forks; the high motocross style front is part of the bikes classic appeal I know, but for the custom I want to build it's out of place.

Did you do your own painting; I would hate to see the bill for a 6 layer spray job locally ; mine was pretty much how Honda painted it originally: sand blasted to bare metal then one coat of expensive paint---only my painter clear-coated it.

Betcha can't wait tell spring break-up.

Clarence
p.s. I was looking at your pictures in flickr and admiring some of the out-door shots, especially the one of the bike back-lite by the city sky-line, (is that a CB550 and Toronto?) and looked at the info, does this look familar?:

Clarence

Sascha
honda305.com Member

Post by Sascha » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:34 am

Hey Clarence,

Thanks - Yeah I am really happy with the paint. The CB550 in that flickr album are actually Cams (part of the Toronto West End Boys) but there is a different CB550 in my basement at the moment... Yeah, Im in Toronto, Canada. That picture you are talking about was taken just off the lakeshore downtown. Are you in Toronto as well?

Yeah, my last obsticle to overcome at the moment is the wiring on the bike... Its been a long journey so I am eager to see if fire up again! ;)

A lot of friends loved the red, I was a fan too but it was time to move on to something different!

-Sascha
clarenceada wrote:Hi, Sasch, you have a great looking paint job. When I first saw your thread and the gorgeous red dream you started with, my first reaction was NO! don't do it , but now I see where you are going, I really like your custom. It's just been so long since I've rode my Dream (sob) and it's always been a rat bike since I've had it that I drull over pictures of Dreams on-line.

Now that I Have two Dreams I may end up going the custom rout on one as I only have one set of original pipes. Has anyone ever tried to lower the front fender so it rides with the tire but keeping the leading axle forks; the high motocross style front is part of the bikes classic appeal I know, but for the custom I want to build it's out of place.

Did you do your own painting; I would hate to see the bill for a 6 layer spray job locally ; mine was pretty much how Honda painted it originally: sand blasted to bare metal then one coat of expensive paint---only my painter clear-coated it.

Betcha can't wait tell spring break-up.

Clarence
p.s. I was looking at your pictures in flickr and admiring some of the out-door shots, especially the one of the bike back-lite by the city sky-line, (is that a CB550 and Toronto?) and looked at the info, does this look familar?:

Clarence

clarenceada
honda305.com Member

Post by clarenceada » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:05 pm

One of the pictures had info saying it was taken by a Canon XTi Rebel which I happened to buy used last year and thought it was what you was using--great camera by the way, I'm still learning to use it-- that self portarit it made of it self doesn't do it justice as I had set the picture size at photobucket too small (their recommended setting). I figured it was Toronto as per your location and I live on the Oregon coast and don't miss the cold winter your about to go into; I was raised 80miles north of Duluth Minn and only about 75 miles south of the Canadian boarder---seen it hit 60 below one winter in the '50s---Brrrrr just freezes my old thin west coast blood thinking about it.

Good luck with that wiring monster you got yourself into;--)

Clarence

Sascha wrote:Hey Clarence,

Thanks - Yeah I am really happy with the paint. The CB550 in that flickr album are actually Cams (part of the Toronto West End Boys) but there is a different CB550 in my basement at the moment... Yeah, Im in Toronto, Canada. That picture you are talking about was taken just off the lakeshore downtown. Are you in Toronto as well?

Yeah, my last obsticle to overcome at the moment is the wiring on the bike... Its been a long journey so I am eager to see if fire up again! ;)

A lot of friends loved the red, I was a fan too but it was time to move on to something different!

-Sascha [unquote]

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home