Admirers

painting Blue '68 305 Dream

clarenceada
honda305.com Member

painting Blue '68 305 Dream

Post by clarenceada » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:33 pm

Got some pictures out of the camera and am going to try posting them:

If all goes well comments will follow.
these are pictures my daughter-in-law took for me, the primed side covers were taken on a cloudy
day and the ones taken after painting are over-exposed as the paint is darker to the naked eye. Got to get a decent camera. The paint looks great but I am surprised how easily it gets fine scratches in the clear coat. The painter said I would need to buff it out but to wait till after I get the bike assembled, probably so I can touch up the scratches I make getting it togther.

Had a little fun getting the paint to the painter; the paint shop told me to bring in a piece of the bike and they would "shoot it with the camera" to get the color code they needed to mix the paint. When I get there the camera is broke so I pick the closest match from a catalog of a coupla hundred colors. With these 60yr old eyes the blues kinda all look the same so I pick a likely looking shade and then find out that they are out of the blue pigment for that color and it would take days to get some from Eugene. So, as I had the painters waiting for it, I choice a car paint they had the proper pigments for. It's a Toyota code called ,Spectra Blue, Dupont no. f4486 k
Clarence
Attachments
primed 305 Dream side cover
primed 305 Dream side cover
painted 305 Dream side cover
305 dream chain guard
305 dream chain guard
305 dream chain guard
305 dream chain guard

Brandonrre
honda305.com Member

Dream

Post by Brandonrre » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:26 am

Looks great Clarence! I can't wait to see the finished product.
1963 CA77
1966 CA77
1966 CB160

clarenceada
honda305.com Member

Post by clarenceada » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:18 am

Thanks, Bran, the last pieces go to the painter Monday and then I can start seeing about getting things chromed and polished. Did you ever find anybody to do your plating? I was surprised it was so hard to find one in the bay area; up here I will have to send it away to Medford, my painter knows a business there that will plat a front rim (dismantled) for $50. I hope he's right, on the forum it runs three times that much.
Clarence

clarenceada
honda305.com Member

sad state of craftsmanship in painting

Post by clarenceada » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:27 am

up date on this here project: Got the frame and fenders back on the first of july and was happy with the look of the paint; not prefect but acceptable, so I stored them on cloth lined shelves in the shed and have been busy getting the rims and hubs painted and chromed till today I happened to be in the shed and seen a little dirt speck on the back edge of the front fender and tried to scrape it off with my finger nail and the paint easily came off, I mean like scratching off a lottery ticket!!!!!!!!!! Underneath the paint was bondo which they did warn me they would have to use as the front fender had been mangled by dropping off of a curb.

Now the rest of the paint and body work looked real good, they did an excellent job of fabricating a new battery tray (they old one was cobbled up by the p. o.) and fixing the curve of the front fender.
They had quoted me a price of$500 for paint, the body work extra. I choked on the bill, $1000 for a total bill of $1500. I had been quoted $1500 for a paint job at another body shop, I guess they get you one way or the other. I dont want to go in screaming at them as I have other bikes I was planing on having them do some body work on, so:
1. is this a normal problem with painting over bondo?
2. do I suspect the rest of the paint?
3. how do I test the rest of the paint job short of scratching it with a scew driver?
4. what could have gone wrong with the paint job as this shop has a good reputation?
5. should/could it have been done in bronze or lead?

I would be tickled to pieces if somebody answered.
Clarence

rpr851r
honda305.com Member

Re: sad state of craftsmanship in painting

Post by rpr851r » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:37 pm

Clarence,
I have done my fair share of painting and never have had a problem with paint over plastic body filler. It could be limited to just the body filler but it’s hard to know and I don’t know how you test it without picking at it. There’s a lot that can go wrong with paint so it’s hard to tell what the issue might have been. It could have been anything from moisture, low temperature, to surface contamination. I would take the pieces back to the shop and see if they will address it.
Good Luck,
Rich

Slyk Willy
honda305.com Member

Post by Slyk Willy » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:24 pm

Gonna be great when it's done. I've always liked the Blue

clarenceada
honda305.com Member

belated update

Post by clarenceada » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:27 am

Trying to tie up some of the threads I left last year when I was having a hard time finding a good painter which I found in Winston, Oregon: Don's Powder Coating.

The paint after setting over a year has harden up so it doesn't come off with a finger nail and I got a bottle of touch up from Toyota (used their no. from Dupont to buy the paint but had to go to toyota's parts store for the touch-up). It comes in a bottle with a ball point applicator like a pen:

I paid $10 for this half ounce so that would be $320 for a pint, makes the Krylon dull aluminum that I'm looking for down right cheap.

Clarence

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home