Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Powdercoating?

ChickenHawk
honda305.com Member

gas tank

Post by ChickenHawk » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:10 pm

I don't understand, why can't the gas tank be powder coated?

piecutter
honda305.com Member

Post by piecutter » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:05 pm

Gas vapors, embedded in the tank, electric current, baking. Put em' all together. Could be damage, could be injury, could be nothing but a bad coating. All in a day's fun though!

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:10 pm

SOAP AND WATER PLUS A LOT OF SUN???????????????. ............lm
piecutter wrote:Gas vapors, embedded in the tank, electric current, baking. Put em' all together. Could be damage, could be injury, could be nothing but a bad coating. All in a day's fun though!

piecutter
honda305.com Member

Post by piecutter » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:18 pm

Yes, and of course, time wounds all heels.

I think most powder coaters are wary of people telling them how "clean" the tank is, no doubt as a result of prior mishaps. Just the same as most chromers who won't do exhaust pipes.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:29 pm

So as I se it the part will be baked with all the holes open and no spark.
???????????????????????????. .........................lm

piecutter wrote:Yes, and of course, time wounds all heels.

I think most powder coaters are wary of people telling them how "clean" the tank is, no doubt as a result of prior mishaps. Just the same as most chromers who won't do exhaust pipes.

piecutter
honda305.com Member

Post by piecutter » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:55 am

Ok, you forced me to actually TALK to my powdercoater, rather than continue to spout off rumours, suppositions and conjectures based on 2nd hand information. I have never actually had a tank powder coated, as I usually want a more attractive finish on the tins. Frames and brackets and what not always get the powdercoat.
As it turns out, he doesn't care about wether or not the customer has properly cleaned it of petroleum products or not, because he pre-bakes them to rid it of those anyway. And it's not so much the baking as it is the electrostatic powder deposition that is the issue. It's not going to be a problem as far as personal injury is concerned, or even damage to the piece itself, so much, just possibly ruining the coat and having to start over.
His only real issues are that the tank cannot be internally coated with a fuel tank sealant and cannot have body filler, lead or solder repairs as any of those would be seriously effected by the baking process. All he wants is a pure, clean, steel canvas with which to practice his art.

So, the answer is, yes, you can have your tank powdercoated. The question remains as to wether or not that is what you WANT to do. If you want a durable, protective finish and your not concerned with the scrutiny of show judges, by all means, powdercoat! If you want a gleaming, hand polished finished with a choice of richer, deeper, layered colors, then go find yourself a GOOD automotive painter. I cannot stress the "GOOD" part enough. There are endless numbers of mediocre paint shops out there to whom you are merely another customer they can shoot an average job for and then be dazzled by the shiny freshness of it. Trust me, the dazzle wears off. Some shops will do great work on a custom Harley chopper, but won't take you as seriously when you say Honda, because it doesn't fit into their perception of value and importance. Look for someone who takes pride in ALL his work and shows examples that don't seem to indicate a preference for a certain brand or type of piece.

Ok, fine. I'll stop now.
Probably should be working anyway.

FluteTears
honda305.com Member

Post by FluteTears » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:06 pm

I allmost hate to tell you all thsi but I have seen a guy win first in best of paint in allot of bike comps that uses a simple spray can Yep the one that you shake and rattle before you spray. Its a matter of prep and the right amout of coatiings, wet sands and buffing after the paint is on. The bottom line is to get a good base to work with the rest falls into place. Now I cat say anything about powder coating but I bet one thing it needs a good base to work with.
1974 CT90
1964 CA77

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home