honda305.com Forum

Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Do we need more: Boards? Topics? Motorcycles? Different organization? Layout? Suggestions on how to improve the h305 Forum.
Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:55 am

Yeah not sure what's going on -- I took a photo, made it 40x40 pixels, even made it a gray scale image, and am still coming out with a 23k JPEG. Interestingly, when I resize it in PhotoShop under 'Image Size', it will tell me that the total image file size is something like 5k, but when I save it as a new JPEG, it then tells me the file size is 23k, even at 0 compression (the very lowest). Very odd.....I'll just remain avatar-less, no biggie.

Snakeoil
honda305.com Member

Post by Snakeoil » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:11 pm

In your camera, you should be able to select a resolution that will make the picture file smaller. On one of my cameras, that selection is actually called e-mail. I went into Paint and resized my avatar, which is a cartoon I drew many years ago, and the file size shrunk with the physical size.

regards,
Rob

Michael Stoic
honda305.com Member

Post by Michael Stoic » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:56 pm

I haven't checked myself, but for some reason I am sure there are websites out there running "file resizing" scripts. I recently found a version of the same, only intended to create a favicon graphic.

Typically the website will provide a way for you to upload your file (whatever image you are starting with) and will then present a downloadable version of the same, only in the reduced dimensions.

If anyone finds such an online tool, please post it in this thread...

--
Michael Stoic

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:04 pm

Figured it out -- I doubled-checked PhotoShop (CS5) and after resizing it to 80x80 pixels, there is an option for 'Save for Web and Devices'.

The first avatar I uploaded looked all pixelated (what do you expect for 6k?!), but I think the new one is a bit better. Thanks for everyone's help!

The one thing that I would love to change on the user profile is my designation. I don't consider myself a 'h305 Expert', and would love to eliminate that, or just call myself a 'Rider' or 'Enthusiast'....or even 'Muddler'.

smithenhiven
honda305.com Member

Post by smithenhiven » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:18 pm

Michael Stoic wrote:I haven't checked myself, but for some reason I am sure there are websites out there running "file resizing" scripts. I recently found a version of the same, only intended to create a favicon graphic.

Typically the website will provide a way for you to upload your file (whatever image you are starting with) and will then present a downloadable version of the same, only in the reduced dimensions.

If anyone finds such an online tool, please post it in this thread...

--
Michael Stoic
http://www.resize2mail.com/advanced.php

jleewebb
honda305.com Member

new avatar

Post by jleewebb » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:12 am

just trying out new avatar...howdy, guys...
'62 CB77. "It's a rider."

Snakeoil
honda305.com Member

Post by Snakeoil » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:00 pm

Vince Lupo wrote:The one thing that I would love to change on the user profile is my designation. I don't consider myself a 'h305 Expert', and would love to eliminate that, or just call myself a 'Rider' or 'Enthusiast'....or even 'Muddler'.
I'm with you Vince. Because I'm a blabber fingers I'm up to "expert" status, which I'm not and never will be. Other sites I frequent use other bike related terms that imply time on the site versus expertise on the subject.

regards,
Rob

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home