Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Search Function

Do we need more: Boards? Topics? Motorcycles? Different organization? Layout? Suggestions on how to improve the h305 Forum.
NBD925
honda305.com Member

Search Function

Post by NBD925 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:39 pm

Hello Michael Stoic and others:

I was wondering if there was a way to beef up the search function.

Let’s say I'm looking for Starter Clutch information. I type in ( Starter and Clutch ) into the search criteria and posts come up with both of those words randomly spread throughout the post. This results in numerous posts about starters and clutches. I would like to Search with both words combined. ( Starter Clutch ) appear together in the post. It would narrow the results quite a bit in many instances. Some search functions allow you to add " " to a word group to combine them in your search. Is this possible to add to the forum? I imagine someday typing this, in to the search ( "Starter and Clutch" ) and getting only starter clutch information. It would search for those two words and those two words together in the post.

There is so much great information in this forum but getting to it seems tougher than it should be.

Thanks for all the work you and others do. I really appreciate the efforts and the great forum that is the Honda305 site. This would just be a nice touch to an all ready great place.
Last edited by NBD925 on Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

s2000erick
honda305.com Member

Search function

Post by s2000erick » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:53 pm

I'm not sure this will help but, try the search function in the yellow column to the left on the forum. I tend to have better results with this vrs. the search function at the top of the page. Good luck!

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:36 pm

Use "search for all terms" it'll narrow it down quite a bit for you!

Davo

Search for any terms or use query as entered
Search for all terms
Search for Author:
Use * as a wildcard for partial matches

Michael Stoic
honda305.com Member

Post by Michael Stoic » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:16 am

Hello NBD925,

I would like to improve the "search" function, once I find a way to do it.

The forum software has a lot of moving parts - easy to break with just one typo in the code. Every improvement or change requires quite a bit of testing so I always go real slow.

As others suggested there are several ways to approach any given search and for the time being, overall, it seems we have a functional, if not perfect, system.

Nevertheless, I do have the "improve search" on the 'to do" list ...with several other major projects ahead of it.

BTW, [ one more search method ] Google has more than 80,000 honda305.com pages indexed. Just include "honda305.com" in the Google search, along with your query terms.

--
Michael Stoic
honda305.com

NBD925
honda305.com Member

Post by NBD925 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:38 pm

Thanks for the search tips. Finding things is getting easier. I'm glad to hear this site is constantly improving. This is a great tool! One of the best Vintage Honda tools ever made.

Keep up the good work!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home