Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CA95 Wiring Help

JC56, JC57, C70, C71, CB71, CE71, CS71, CSA71, CS72, CSA72, C75, C76, CA76, CS76, CSA76, CS77, CSA77, CB92, CA95
Dr. Frankenstein
honda305.com Member

CA95 Wiring Help

Post by Dr. Frankenstein » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:06 am

Hi All- I was wondering if there is somebody on here who lives in central Virginia that could help me out with a wiring problem...

I am trying to get a CA95 back on the road and have run into a problem with the wiring. The original harness was shot, so I replaced it with one from Thailand, or China( I don't remember which) that I got off the 'Bay, and it's great, but a lot of the wire colors don't match up with the CA95 wiring schematic - to wit:

I have five wires coming out of the original black sleeve that comes from the dynamo/stator, but those wire colors do not match up with what the schematic says, let alone the new harness.

The WHITE wire off the ignition switch is actually the black and white wire on the new harness;

One of the Red/Black wires that 'appears' to be going from the key switch to the coil, but then shows up again where I think the horn connections are...and many other questions.

I know "jack" about electricity - what I'm afraid of, is if I just take an educated Guess at what goes where, I might fry something that I really don't want to fry - so my question is, is there anybody near Charlottesville, VA that can show me what to hook up where, and more importantly WHY they hook up a certain way...?

Thanks;

-John

Rizingson
honda305.com Member

Post by Rizingson » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:21 am

Dr. Frankenstein wrote:
I know "jack" about electricity - what I'm afraid of, is if I just take an educated Guess at what goes where, I might fry something that I really don't want to fry - so my question is, is there anybody near Charlottesville, VA that can show me what to hook up where, and more importantly WHY they hook up a certain way...?

Thanks;

-John
I don't live near you, but allow me to give you a bit of advice. When I do a restoration and am working on the wiring, I only use a 1 amp trickle charger first, (connected in place of the battery) connecting every component one at a time to let me know whether every connection and ground is correct and working before ever connecting the harness to the battery. That's gives you enough amperage for every bulb as well as an audible click of the starter solenoid or horn. The reason for this is, you'll know if something is wrong well before wires are melted or any component damage has occurred. Just about in every build thread I write, I stress that point and the reason for it. Whether you heed that advice is on you. I've worked with commercial control circuits all my life, and understand AC as well as DC very well, but there's no reason to risk hard to find parts on these bikes. Good luck with your wiring.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home