Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Project CB92 - A Journey to Resurrection

JC56, JC57, C70, C71, CB71, CE71, CS71, CSA71, CS72, CSA72, C75, C76, CA76, CS76, CSA76, CS77, CSA77, CB92, CA95
G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:56 am

Rizingson

That's a beautiful restoration. Not my favorite Honda but it shows why people love their CB92s

G

Rizingson wrote:Finally time to wrap this project up, as I need to get busy with putting batteries and fresh fuel in a bunch of bikes that have been waiting to get operational for the summer.
I started with installing some brand new seamless mufflers. A shout out goes to George DeCamp in NH, for supplying these NOS, still in the box mufflers, that Honda Motor Co headquarters on West Pico Avenue, LA. had originally shipped to Boston in the early '60s. I had also obtained a solid pair of the Racing Megaphones from Tom Kolenko, (VJMC President), which I'll need to have re-chromed due to a little battery acid staining and some mild pitting. I'm anxious to hear what they'll sound like.

Here I've got the new mufflers on.

Once the mufflers were on, I decided to fire up the motor to see how everything worked. So I put in some fresh oil, the battery and used a remote fuel source to start it with. After kicking it over a couple dozen times without luck, I rechecked for spark which was good, so I went ahead and gave it a shot of ether on the air filter. She then fired off and settled out to a good idle and responsive throttle after a couple of minutes of running. Checked the charging system and it was varying the voltage as it should with changes in rpm's.

Next I installed the Carburetor covers. One of the originals had a crack in it, so I thought I'd use this set of polished covers instead.

So now I was ready to finally get the fuel tank installed, after putting on the large rubber knee grip, as well as the petcock, and tank badges. The knee grips for this model aren't the easiest to put on. I warmed them up good, and used some liquid detergent along with a 90 deg pick to help pull them into place and get the lip to drop into the channel around the edge

Here's the tank mounted on the bike.

...and a closer look at the '61 and later tank badge.

Another little item that was missing when I got the bike was the rubber stopper on the center stand. This is needed to prevent the stand from banging into the left muffler.

And one more final touch before I take it outside for a few more pictures. Since this bike had spent it's years in Iowa, I decided to let it continue it's Hawkeye State tradition with an original '61 Iowa motorcycle plate. Complimented with blue reflectors!

Finally outside for a few shot's in the Sun, to better show the results.

I realize the before and after pictures aren't a big difference, but up close in person, this bike looks so much better than when I got it. Pictures sometimes don't reflect all the minor blemishes and pitting of chrome that would be noticed immediately in person. Overall I'm quite happy with the way this turned out, and don't feel like it has anything to hide when showing it. Plan's are for it to be going with a few of my other bikes to McPherson, KS on April 30th, for a show at the college where the KCVJMC was asked to put on a display for Motoring Fest 2016.
Thanks for your interest, comments and patience will I put together this build thread.
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

Rizingson
honda305.com Member

Post by Rizingson » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:58 pm

After a couple of shows with it coming in at 4th and 2nd place, finally the hard work is getting some recognition. Here's my 4 bike display at Motorado Classic Motorcycle Show in Santa Fe NM this past week end. The CB92 captures the 1st place in Japanese Road catagory.
...yours truly picking up the plaque!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home