Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Lead gas Vs. Unleaded gas in Honda 305?

readyjimm
honda305.com Member

Lead gas Vs. Unleaded gas in Honda 305?

Post by readyjimm » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:26 pm

This was just brought to my attention and I wanna know what the pro's and con's are. I couldnt really find much about this topic. Maybe someone could shed some light?

Goodysnap
honda305.com Member

Post by Goodysnap » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:03 pm

I believe the concensus is regular or premium unleaded. No additives required.
64' CB77
65' CB160

OldHarley
honda305.com Member

Re: Lead gas Vs. Unleaded gas in Honda 305?

Post by OldHarley » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:42 pm

readyjimm wrote:This was just brought to my attention and I wanna know what the pro's and con's are. I couldnt really find much about this topic. Maybe someone could shed some light?
Leaded gas? OK, Pros: Smelled a lot sweeter and was only around 25 cents a gallon. Cons (and this is a big one): Unavailable since about the early 1980's

In all seriousness, though, I believe you are referring to the upper engine lubricating qualities of gasoline lead additives. Lead additives are available, but many swear by the addition of Marvel Mystery Oil to the gasoline tank at a ratio of 4oz/10 gallons or about 1 ounce to a tankful for top cylinder lubrication, if you are worried about that.

Edit: I also remember the lead was supposed to 'cushion' the valve seat and when lead was phased out many older car owners were concerned they now would need hardened valve seats. I believe it turned out to be unnecessary, though.
Last edited by OldHarley on Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pknopp
honda305.com Member

Post by pknopp » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:26 pm

I've heard this argument for years and all I can say it that I've owned and rode/drove many old cars without additives with no problems.

Dan Atsma
honda305.com Member

Post by Dan Atsma » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:53 am

Goodysnap wrote:I believe the concensus is regular or premium unleaded. No additives required.
I had problems with running premium in my Dream, was told the lower compression Dreams run better on lower octain gas and found it to be true. My scrambler seems to run fine on mid-grade or premium with no additives.
Toad
65 CL77 305 Scrambler, 75 CB750K Cafe, 75 CB750F

GG
honda305.com Member

Gasoline vs. ethanol

Post by GG » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:15 pm

Hello all,

I think the real difference between the old gasoline and the new stuff we use isn't so much the lead, as that it was REAL gasoline, and not the bizarre mixtures we get today, including ethanol and butane! I can still get "real gasoline" in my wife's small home town in Minnesota for farm vehicles, and I ran a tank in the old 1979 Buick, 403 4 barrel - wow! Just like old times! All the gasoline didn't evaporate out of the carburator every night, got better gas mileage, and just plain sounded better. Oh for the old days! Sigh...

I'm sure our Honda's would love some of the real stuff, but we'll have to make do. One of the big problems with our modern fuel is that it goes bad so quickly. In a month the stuff can be jelly already. I'm glad for the "pop off" floats on my cb77! Easy to drain.

GG

akpasta
honda305.com Member

Post by akpasta » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:08 pm

I'm wondering about the whole Ethanol thing as well lately. I've only been riding motorbikes for the last 4 years or so, in which time I've probably been using those E-10 mixtures exclusively.

I haven't noticed anything bad in my cb77 yet. I also tend to fill one gallon at a time and fill it up once a week, so it might not be sitting in my tank long enough to separate. But I've definitely got other bikes that have gas that's at least a few months old. Should probably get rid of that gas, ya?

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home