Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

throttle cable length

jkjoller
honda305.com Member

throttle cable length

Post by jkjoller » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:37 am

I'm working on an early ('62) CA77 Dream. The throttle cable was in bad shape so I bought a replacement off eBay. Looks identical to original but its too long. Does anybody have any advice on what to do? Should I look for another that is the correct length or snip off the throttle side end, cut the cable length and re-solder? My concern is the re-solder side not lasting through use.

Thanks.

Geoff Hastings
honda305.com Member

Post by Geoff Hastings » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:30 pm

It depends on the cable, some are stainless with a shrunk on nipple. You can cut the cable inner and outer and use a brass solder on nipple using stainless solder and flux. If it is a normal soldered nipple you can heat it up,slide nipple down the cable and cut the flared part off the inner then cut the cables to length. When you fit the nipple to the cable, you slide it into position, solder it onto the cable leaving about 3mm protruding. Then, flare the end of the protrusion by hitting the end with a small hammer, reheat the nipple and cable and pull the nipple to the end of the inner cable andresolder. The flared end will stop the cable ever pulling through the nipple. It sounds complicated but really is not.

DylanGolden
honda305.com Member

Re: throttle cable length

Post by DylanGolden » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:39 pm

Is there anywhere you can buy the correct cable without having to solder it? I need one and have no clue how to solder.

Geoff Hastings
honda305.com Member

Post by Geoff Hastings » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:50 am

I bought all new cables for my CA77 from Thailand, the quality was fine but I did have to reduce the length of the nipple with a gentle bit of filing as it was too long to fit into the clutch lever. It might have been the lever as that is not a genuine Honda item either but it only took a couple of minutes to get the nipple to rotate smoothly.

ELMST616
honda305.com Member

Post by ELMST616 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:52 pm

Could be your cable routing. I think the original route is to go around the neck but I bypassed that and fed directly into oval hole on the frame and straight on down to the carb. My cable came from Thailand and works great.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home