Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Rocker Arm Pin Removal?

Dr. Frankenstein
honda305.com Member

Rocker Arm Pin Removal?

Post by Dr. Frankenstein » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:59 am

Hi guys - it's been a while, but I'm currently working on a 1962 CA77E and can't seem to get the rocker arm pins out.

The manual says to unscrew them with a special tool, which I don't have, but I can't remember how I got them out the last time - any help?

-John

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Rocker Arm Pin Removal?

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:44 am

I use a long thin punch and hammer.
I put the punch on the end near the cam sprocket and hit it with the hammer.
Then using a medium screwdriver I pry them out. .......lm
Dr. Frankenstein wrote:Hi guys - it's been a while, but I'm currently working on a 1962 CA77E and can't seem to get the rocker arm pins out.

The manual says to unscrew them with a special tool, which I don't have, but I can't remember how I got them out the last time - any help?

-John

Dr. Frankenstein
honda305.com Member

Post by Dr. Frankenstein » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:01 am

OK, so it/they don't need to be particularly turned in any direction? Or unscrewed?

They have that big 'ol slot in the face of them, but will only go left or right just so far...I try tapping them out, and it feels/sounds like they're hitting metal - or could that be the rockers themselves? Or am I just not using enough force?

rpr851r
honda305.com Member

Post by rpr851r » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:20 am

The pins should spin 360 degrees with a screwdriver unless the head is still on the engine. If it is still on the engine the rocker pins will not come out past the cylinder/head studs.
CL77
CT90
RE5
49 Harley
RT3 Yamaha

Dr. Frankenstein
honda305.com Member

Post by Dr. Frankenstein » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:18 am

Ah, that's what I thought.

My problem is the head won't separate because I think the pistons are frozen inside the head, locking the cam chain in place...and the cam chain master link of course came to a stop in the bowels of the head - in this case on the far side across from the cam chain tensioner opening. I can SEE it, I just can't get to it.

I don't really want to cut that chain if I can help it, but I may have to...any suggestions? Maybe tap out the camshaft bearings, thereby loosening up the chain...?

I'm planning on doing a total rebuild from the cases up on this one, so I don't particularly need to be careful taking it apart - It looks like sometime in the past it came down with a serious oil problem - the insides are pitch-black oily and smells burnt.

Somebody was in there before me, too, because the butter-soft screw-heads are all rusted and chewed up; I had to drill them out to get into the points and camshaft covers.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:40 am

I assumed you had the head off when you asked your question.
The pistons don't freeze to the head.
They do in the cylinders.
Might just as well cut the chain now because if what you describe of the engine the chain is shot anyway. ............lm

Dr. Frankenstein wrote:Ah, that's what I thought.

My problem is the head won't separate because I think the pistons are frozen inside the head, locking the cam chain in place...and the cam chain master link of course came to a stop in the bowels of the head - in this case on the far side across from the cam chain tensioner opening. I can SEE it, I just can't get to it.

I don't really want to cut that chain if I can help it, but I may have to...any suggestions? Maybe tap out the camshaft bearings, thereby loosening up the chain...?

I'm planning on doing a total rebuild from the cases up on this one, so I don't particularly need to be careful taking it apart - It looks like sometime in the past it came down with a serious oil problem - the insides are pitch-black oily and smells burnt.

Somebody was in there before me, too, because the butter-soft screw-heads are all rusted and chewed up; I had to drill them out to get into the points and camshaft covers.

DJM
honda305.com Member

Cyl Head / rocker removal.

Post by DJM » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:22 am

If you're careful it's possible to release the two halves of the camshaft from the centre sprocket, you need to be careful what position the cams and rockers are in before tapping the cams out.

Once you have released the sprocket from the cams it should drop down far enough to slip the chain off the cam sprocket, lift out the sprocket and then the cylinder head can be removed.

I don't know why I've never suggested this in the case of frozen engines. I know from experience that it can be done as I changed the cam sprocket / advance retard unit on my CL77 a few years ago with the engine in place in the frame.

If you try it this way please let the list know how you get on.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home