Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

About ready to start restoration - Engine question

outdoors4me
honda305.com Member

About ready to start restoration - Engine question

Post by outdoors4me » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:43 pm

So yes, I'm waiting on a couple of manuals but I'll be taking my '64 300 apart for restoration.

Should I run all the gas out first? Anything else I need to do to the engine before I start?

It' could be sitting for quite a while.

Thanks,

Beck

cadman
honda305.com Member

Restoration

Post by cadman » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:14 pm

Remove all old gas.

Pull plugs and see if it turns over easily and it has spark. If no spark check points.

Before adding new gas install an inline fuel filter.

If sitting for a long time I usually drain the oil and full with new. (Note there is no external filter).

Check battery voltage - You need full charge to get a good spark.

rrietman
honda305.com Member

Post by rrietman » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:52 pm

A good plan for any restoration, If possible, is to first get it running and ride it. even if it's just up and down the driveway. this way you will get a feel for the transmission, if the frame is wanky,if the wheels roll straight, does it hang together right. you would amazed at how much you can learn in a few minutes with a running bike versus guessing at stuff later. these bikes are old and have been worked over by many different owners. It's very productive and worth a lot of effort/$ up front.
Good luck
Randy

outdoors4me
honda305.com Member

Re: Restoration

Post by outdoors4me » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:47 pm

Cadman,

She runs quite well, so I'm actually ahead of the game there. The previous owner installed new rings, points and condenser.

The rest of the bike? Needs a lot of TLC.

Thanks for the tips.

Beck
cadman wrote:Remove all old gas.

Pull plugs and see if it turns over easily and it has spark. If no spark check points.

Before adding new gas install an inline fuel filter.

If sitting for a long time I usually drain the oil and full with new. (Note there is no external filter).

Check battery voltage - You need full charge to get a good spark.

outdoors4me
honda305.com Member

Post by outdoors4me » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:48 pm

Hey Randy,

I actually rode her home so the engine/Tranny feels good. The rest of the bike needs a lot of care though.

Thanks,

Beck
rrietman wrote:A good plan for any restoration, If possible, is to first get it running and ride it. even if it's just up and down the driveway. this way you will get a feel for the transmission, if the frame is wanky,if the wheels roll straight, does it hang together right. you would amazed at how much you can learn in a few minutes with a running bike versus guessing at stuff later. these bikes are old and have been worked over by many different owners. It's very productive and worth a lot of effort/$ up front.
Good luck
Randy

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:27 pm

I have a question.
What type of restore are you planing.
A cosmetic restoration of a actual restoration?. ..............lm
outdoors4me wrote:Hey Randy,

I actually rode her home so the engine/Tranny feels good. The rest of the bike needs a lot of care though.

Thanks,

Beck
rrietman wrote:A good plan for any restoration, If possible, is to first get it running and ride it. even if it's just up and down the driveway. this way you will get a feel for the transmission, if the frame is wanky,if the wheels roll straight, does it hang together right. you would amazed at how much you can learn in a few minutes with a running bike versus guessing at stuff later. these bikes are old and have been worked over by many different owners. It's very productive and worth a lot of effort/$ up front.
Good luck
Randy

outdoors4me
honda305.com Member

Post by outdoors4me » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:50 pm

Hmmm.....good question. I plan on fixing/replacing things that don't work like the electric starter, speedo, replacing parts that are missing, repainting, etc.

But some parts like the mufflers I will use reproductions.

So I guess a little of both?

Thanks,

Beck
LOUD MOUSE wrote:I have a question.
What type of restore are you planing.
A cosmetic restoration of a actual restoration?. ..............lm
outdoors4me wrote:Hey Randy,

Thanks,

Beck
Good luck
Randy

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home