Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Electrical Short - CA77 1964

Maximum Carnage
honda305.com Member

Electrical Short - CA77 1964

Post by Maximum Carnage » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:26 pm

After extensive work on it and hooking up the battery, somewhere there is a short.

When I purchased the motorcycle it started with just the kick starter, the battery didn't seem to have enough juice to to turn the starter. The wiring was a bit shot, electrical tape wrapped around wires, I cleaned it up but seems I missed something.
The starter kicks in on every position but off, please ask away.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Electrical Short - CA77 1964

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:20 am

Check the wire on the bars at the starter button. ...................lm

Maximum Carnage wrote:After extensive work on it and hooking up the battery, somewhere there is a short.

When I purchased the motorcycle it started with just the kick starter, the battery didn't seem to have enough juice to to turn the starter. The wiring was a bit shot, electrical tape wrapped around wires, I cleaned it up but seems I missed something.

Maximum Carnage
honda305.com Member

Re: Electrical Short - CA77 1964

Post by Maximum Carnage » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:19 am

That makes sense, especially being that I did swap out all the cables. I'll try that this afternoon and report back....

LOUD MOUSE wrote:Check the wire on the bars at the starter button. ...................lm

Maximum Carnage wrote:After extensive work on it and hooking up the battery, somewhere there is a short.

Maximum Carnage
honda305.com Member

Post by Maximum Carnage » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:21 pm

Yes, that was the issue. The starter button cable was pealed back from when I installed the throttle cable.
Got it running now sputtering oil....

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:46 am

Where is the oil coming from?. ...............lm

Maximum Carnage wrote:Yes, that was the issue. The starter button cable was pealed back from when I installed the throttle cable.

Maximum Carnage
honda305.com Member

Post by Maximum Carnage » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:15 am

Coming from the breather hose, been searching but not finding exactly what it could be... Any advise would be appreciated.
LOUD MOUSE wrote:Where is the oil coming from?. ...............lm

Maximum Carnage wrote:Yes, that was the issue. The starter button cable was pealed back from when I installed the throttle cable.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:11 am

Call me when you are at the bike. 830-895-0654. ........lm

Maximum Carnage wrote:Coming from the breather hose, been searching but not finding exactly what it could be... Any advise would be appreciated.
LOUD MOUSE wrote:Where is the oil coming from?. ...............lm

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home