Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Coil Testing

RJag
honda305.com Member

Coil Testing

Post by RJag » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:02 pm

Hi,<br /><br />I have purchaced a battery, gotten a key made, soldered on a new grounding wire ect...<br /><br />No spark whatsoever... <br /><br />I need to either wait until the manual shows up in the mail or someone here can tell me what resistance to expect through the coil.<br /><br />with most coils if I remember right your plug wires to ground should have infinite resistance.<br />The wires for the main winding should have a measurable value between them ? but I am not sure what to expect. <br /><br />The main winding wires should also have infinite resistance between either of them and ground. <br /><br />If anyone has an info on what to expect for the resistance of the main winding I would appreciate it.<br /><br />Thanks<br />Rick

kustommusic
honda305.com Member

Re: Coil Testing

Post by kustommusic » Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:42 pm

Rick, Mabey not what you'r looking for but, If i am in doubt about a coil I use a battery or a charger and apply voltage to the (+) marked terminal. I place the spark plug wire near (1/4&quot;) a ground. And last I attach a wire to the (-) side of the coil and flash it to a ground usually on the engine block. The battery source minus connection should also be grounded to the engine. When you flash the coil (-) to ground that should cause the spark plug wire to send a nice bluish spark to ground. Hope this is clear. Good Luck! Steve Greer

Pigeonalley
honda305.com Member

Re: Coil Testing

Post by Pigeonalley » Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:19 pm

Steve, <br /><br /> What a great way to check a coil! And your groud strap!
Old bikes like old men, sometimes you have to kick start them

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home