Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Identifying Year of Old Bike

RJag
honda305.com Member

Identifying Year of Old Bike

Post by RJag » Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:22 pm

Hi,<br /><br />I was just given an Old honda Motorcycle<br />Ser# CA77E-1002162 <br /><br />I have no idea of the year, but the first part of the serial found me this forum. The pictures look like the critter I have in my shed. I am planning on cleaning it up and restoring it as time permits.<br /><br />Once I get a manual (if i can figure out the year) I can really get started<br /><br />The battery is missing, Which one does this bike take?<br /><br />The badges are missing from the gastank, it is missing a wave shaped aluminum cover on the left side (right behind the carb)<br />Air filter and rubber boot from carb to air box are rotted out. Left airbox cover knob has met the road and been chewed up bad. Good compression.

ryan_siefrin
honda305.com Member

Re: Identifying Year of Old Bike

Post by ryan_siefrin » Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:52 am

yo,<br /><br />i'm not sure what year your bike is from the info you gave me, but i can tell you a few things. <br /><br />as for the battery, i just took the dimensions of the battery tray and found one that would fit in it at advanced autoparts, it was the smallest one they had. <br /><br />i used a k&amp;N air filter becasue of the limited amount of stock air filters out there. However the ones i have seen cost around 80 for both parts. <br /><br />it is Important to make sure that you filter the air though. For awhile i ran with out an air filter and fuel filter and i had problems with the carb cloging. <br /><br /><br />good luck.
Ryan Siefring

1965 Honda CA77 Dream
1996 Honda CBR 900 RR

RJag
honda305.com Member

Post by RJag » Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:07 pm

I found the link on this forum about carbon dating your honda,<br />It is a '64 according to the tag on the wiring harness.<br /><br />Is this a 12V system or a 6V system, As far as the battery goes?<br /><br />On model, does a CA77 mean that it is a 305cc? <br /><br />Ryan: Do you happen to have a K&amp;N Part number for that filter? I have seen the effects of running without a filter, I had a couple of bikes donated to my boneyard when I was younger that experienced this up close.

mikescottt
honda305.com Member

Post by mikescottt » Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:17 pm

Hi Im restoring a 64 305 Dream and can give you some info.<br />According to Bill Silvers books Its a 65,66 or 67. Look for the frame number. Its below the battery and under the brake switch stamped vertical on the frame. you will need a flash light to see it. Bill Silvers Honda 250-305cc Twin books on CD is worth buying. Also I bought a Microfiche that covers all CA77 parts with exploded views and part numbers Frame and Engine.<br />It cost about 5 bucks. Try this Email--markel259@bellsouth.net <br />I think he has more. Most Librarys have the equipment to make copies from mico fiche. It about 90 pages and it cost me 10 bucks well worth it. See ya.

RJag
honda305.com Member

Post by RJag » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:19 pm

Hi,<br /><br />The model number on the frame is CA78-1002111<br />Does this help in nailing down the year better than the date on the wiring harness?<br /><br />Thanks<br />

mikescottt
honda305.com Member

Post by mikescottt » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:52 am

I think it helps in ordering parts. My understanding is that if the Engine and Frame #'s are close to one another( yours are only 51 apart) then you have a Dream that has not had the motor swaped out. The chances that the wireing harness being swaped out would be very low. Sounds like you got an original 64 Dream. Does it have the high beam light in the speedometer? Mine doesn't but I think its been swaped.

ryan_siefrin
honda305.com Member

Post by ryan_siefrin » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:42 pm

RJag wrote:<br />I found the link on this forum about carbon dating your honda,<br />It is a '64 according to the tag on the wiring harness.<br /><br />Is this a 12V system or a 6V system, As far as the battery goes?<br /><br />On model, does a CA77 mean that it is a 305cc? <br /><br />Ryan: Do you happen to have a K&amp;N Part number for that filter? I have seen the effects of running without a filter, I had a couple of bikes donated to my boneyard when I was younger that experienced this up close.<br />
<br /><br />it's a 12v system,<br /><br />most deams are 305 CC from what i've experianced, but this be stamped on your crankcase near the oil plug.<br /><br />i have no clue what the k&amp;N number is the filter is used and there is no identifacation on it. i just found one with the right diameter hole and then taped it on the my rubber tube.<br /><br />good luck.
Ryan Siefring

1965 Honda CA77 Dream
1996 Honda CBR 900 RR

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home